Quick and Dirty Comparison of: HDW4431C-A V2 HDW4433C-A HDW4631C-A HFW4431R-Z HFW5231R-Z HDW5231R-Z

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just did a quick and dirty test of several Dahua cameras and I thought that it might be helpful for others to be able to compare these different models.

I'll start off with some stills from each camera and add some comments at the bottom.

Default settings:

To simulate a low light environment, I manually set each camera to 1/2000 shutter speed:

With the exception of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, all of the above cameras are relatively inexpensive Chinese market cameras currently being sold on AliExpress.

It's pretty obvious that the current favourite camera on this forum (the IPC-HDW5231R-Z) is far superior in low light performance!

The IPC-HFW5231R-Z is being sold on AliExpress as a camera that is supposed to be good at low light performance and the model number suggests that it should be similar to the IPC-HDW5231R-Z just in a different (bullet) format. As is clear from the above pictures, its performance isn't significantly better than any of the other cheap Dahua cameras. Compared to the IPC-HFW4431R-Z, it's more expensive and doesn't really do any better with low light despite having only half the pixels, so I would strongly recommend avoiding this camera.

The IPC-HDW4433C-A is currently being sold as an upgraded version of the IPC-HDW4431C-A. Maybe I got unlucky with a faulty unit, but mine is significantly less clear than all of the other cameras - it appears to me that the focus is set too close. I pulled the unit apart to take a look and it doesn't seem to be possible to adjust the focus - the lens is glued at a fixed focus and if I was to break the glue, there's insufficient threading to allow for any adjustment - it's only the glue that's holding the focus in place! It does seem to handle low light a bit better than the IPC-HDW4431C-A V2 camera though, so assuming that my unit is faulty, then it might be reasonable to say that it is an upgrade over the older model.

The IPC-HDW4631C-A is a bit different to the rest - it has a more square image ratio which can be either good or bad depending on the situation. Despite the larger number of pixels, it doesn't seem to be performing too badly with low light compared to the IPC-HDW4431C-A V2. Similar to the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, it has an all metal mount instead of the plastic mount of the IPC-HDW4431C-A V2 and the IPC-HDW4433C-A. In normal lighting conditions, it seems to also be clearer than either of those models which should be reasonably expected given the higher pixel count. The cost isn't too much higher, so this would currently be my pick for situations where the budget can't stretch to the low light champion!

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Mark. I really appreciate sharing your experience. Dahua is my brand of choice (ip and cvi). Thanks

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
IPC-HFW5231R-Z NOT original english one of dahua bullet model is IPC-HFW5231E-Z, so IPC-HFW5231R-Z, there is no such model at all for the updated version.

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
IPC-HFW5231R-Z NOT original english one of dahua bullet model is IPC-HFW5231E-Z, so IPC-HFW5231R-Z, there is no such model at all for the updated version.
Yes, I'd say that the IPC-HFW5231R-Z is a completely faked version - could be a IPC-HFW4431R-Z with the firmware hacked to report a different model number and run at a lower resolution.

Rather than buying a IPC-HFW5231E-Z, I'd recommend just spending a bit more to get the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 - unless you're needing the wide angle of the IPC-HFW5231E-Z.

MR F

n3wb
Reaction score
Mark,

Thank you very much for the comparison. With so many different models and prices it is hard to choose cameras without a direct comparison like this.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great post. Thx for sharing.

I have several 4431C-A-v2 models and have been happy with them. Low budget with decent performance. I use several external IRs to help support low light. They work great with the added light.

I have been thinking about upgrading some older cams. But not ready to spend 150 plus for a starvis camera when I have lots of external IRs on the property. What would you recommend for a slight upgrade from the 4431C-A-v2 models? I need 2.8 or wider lenses.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree there's something fishy with the HFW-5231R-Z. I have a HFW-5231E-Z as well as some of the chinese market cameras, and the 5231E-Z is clearly better in low light situations. In bright light the chinese models do just as good, or a bit better if higher pixel count and bitrate.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Great post. Thx for sharing.

I have several 4431C-A-v2 models and have been happy with them. Low budget with decent performance. I use several external IRs to help support low light. They work great with the added light.

I have been thinking about upgrading some older cams. But not ready to spend 150 plus for a starvis camera when I have lots of external IRs on the property. What would you recommend for a slight upgrade from the 4431C-A-v2 models? I need 2.8 or wider lenses.
Bad news is this 4431C-A-V2 dahua stopped producing,replaced by 4433C-A,lol.

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I'd go for the 4631C-A in that situation - definitely clearer during the day and possibly better than the 4431C-A V2 at night.

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see if anyone has bought a 4433C-A and see if they have the same problem - to be honest, I'd be surprised if they were all this bad...

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know. Take a look at his simulated night shots. The 4433 is out performing the 4431 and 4631. I might change my order Andy and get three of the 4433 models. I need to keep reading.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I'd go for the 4631C-A in that situation - definitely clearer during the day and possibly better than the 4431C-A V2 at night.
I don't know. Look at the low light shots you posted. The 4433 has a slight edge on the 4431 and 4631.

Are the 4433 and 4631 metal or plastic?

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know. Look at the low light shots you posted. The 4433 has a slight edge on the 4431 and 4631.

Are the 4433 and 4631 metal or plastic?
True - the 4433 did a bit better than the 4431 and 4631 for low light, so if it's just my unit that's faulty then yes, that might be a reasonable choice.

The 4433 is plastic - same as the 4431 - I don't think that there's any obvious difference compared to looking at the 4431. The 4631 is a metal base as I mentioned in the original post.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures, they are helpful. A few suggestions/requests for your post...
1. Maybe add a few descriptive points for each camera so people know what type, format, ptz, etc.
2. If you haven't installed the cameras yet maybe put them outside and do the same side by side comparison?

In any case thanks, this is helpful.

wayner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 4431s are on Amazon Prime for $60. It looks like they are about $50 on Ali but this has the advantages of Amazon Prime, shipping, returns, etc.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm suspicious of the last simulated night picture from the IPC-HDW5231R-Z. Just look at the refresh pattern on the left monitor. I think this camera did a longer exposure than the others.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we're not seeing the actual refresh (it doesn't look like that with LCDs), but instead we're seeing different backlight zones flashing on and off at different times. Some PWM dimming schemes do this to help reduce the appearance of a flicker for certain sensitive individuals. Or it could just be standard PWM backlight flashing, and the horizontal bar pattern could be an artifact of the camera's pixel readout speed. Yeah the more I think about it the more I think that is it, because those bars are slightly slanted, moreso in some cameras than in others.

Last edited:

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I'd say that it's just an artefact from the PWM flicker of the monitor. I just took a few photos of that monitor with my Canon DSLR set to 1/2000 shutter speed and the pattern from it was closer to the HDW5231R-Z than the other cameras... In case anyone is curious and wants to look up the PWM frequency for that monitor, it's a Dell U2412M Ultrasharp - 24" 1920x1200.

It's overcast and raining here at the moment - When I get time and it's nice and sunny I might go out and set up the same cameras to do an outdoor test. I'll also take a photo of the cameras set up side by side as requested.

I'm thinking that I should do a series of photos with full daylight, another with fast shutter and then repeat it again at night with IR turned on for only one of the cameras - all set at the same fixed shutter speed to make it easier to compare the actual low light performance. Might also be interesting to do photos with noise reduction turned off for each camera as well.

Any other suggestions for additional tests?