Quick and Dirty Comparison of: HDW4431C-A V2 HDW4433C-A HDW4631C-A HFW4431R-Z HFW5231R-Z HDW5231R-Z

Reaction score
I think an IPC-HDW4231EM-AS or an ASE should have been included in the test. Recently got one and compared to my 5231R's it's easily got a very comparable night time image. For a fixed lens cam, it's very cost effective, only missing the vari-focal ability.

tim8

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Woah...when did these hdw4433c-a come out. I have all hdw4431c-a and looking to add some more cameras. Looks like I should be getting hdw4433c-a? Do these work with the latest firmware on the nvr 5216-4ks2? I heard a while ago Dahua was looking to block Chinese cameras.

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
I think an IPC-HDW4231EM-AS or an ASE should have been included in the test. Recently got one and compared to my 5231R's it's easily got a very comparable night time image. For a fixed lens cam, it's very cost effective, only missing the vari-focal ability.
I didn't originally set out to order the cameras specifically for this test, so I didn't order any extra cameras for testing purposes and I haven't got one of those models on hand or on order...

I agree that it would be good to get one of the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS or IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE cameras to test alongside these cameras. Should I shake the tin and see if anyone wants to help cover the cost of ordering more cameras for testing purposes? Are you feeling generous @EMPIRETECANDY? ;-)

roryk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have used many of the 4431C-A and had to focus approx 2 out of 5 of them each order. Basically in every order there are usually a few out of focus especially the 2.8mm models. Used pliers to break the glue by twisting the lens, then focus - it stays in place, or use super glue after to be certain. Anyway, this is very common with those cameras.

Last edited:

roryk

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick question, what lens do the fixed lens cameras have in your test? The 4631 seems much more like 3.6mm? Also, I used the 4431EM-AS and 4431C-A in same spot and the EM is way more noisy at night, better audio though (less scratching/noise which the 4431C-A are known for) - I wouldnt buy the EM again, but I used the metal housing and put the 4431C-A inside that, put the EM indoors in the plastic housing. The EM is also not as wide as the 4431C-A.

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
I have used many of the 4631C-A and had to focus approx 2 out of 5 of them each order. Basically in every order there are usually a few out of focus especially the 2.8mm models. Used pliers to break the glue by twisting the lens, then focus - it stays in place, or use super glue after to be certain. Anyway, this is very common with those cameras.
OK, I might give that a go on the 4433C-A and see how I go - it's not that great as it is so if I break it completely in the process, it's no big deal! ;-)

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick question, what lens do the fixed lens cameras have in your test? The 4631 seems much more like 3.6mm?
All of the fixed lens cameras are 2.8mm. The varifocals are 2.7mm to 12.7mm - all set to the widest setting for this test.

byro

n3wb
Reaction score
hi guys! Just a question for who had already bought dahua ipcam on aliexpress. I'm interested on dahua hdw4631c-a (6mpx). Reading some customer's experience, someone wrote the firmware of ipcam he bought was an hacking of original one and just connect cam on net it seems try to connect with several chinese sites. Fortunatly his firewall stopped all connection unoutorized. Have you seem something like that?
Have you had similar experience?

Thanks a lot

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys! Just a question for who had already bought dahua ipcam on aliexpress. I'm interested on dahua hdw4631c-a (6mpx). Reading some customer's experience, someone wrote the firmware of ipcam he bought was an hacking of original one and just connect cam on net it seems try to connect with several chinese sites. Fortunatly his firewall stopped all connection unoutorized. Have you seem something like that?
Have you had similar experience?

Thanks a lot
Yes, that is a China Region cam with hacked firmware.
If you can't find the cam you want here: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/ best to avoid.
Choose the International version of the site.

Truth

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post, I'm a total noob!

Interested in a security cam, looked online and found out that SCW makes some great stuff but seemed too expensive. Found another website (backstreet surveillance) less expensive. Similar quality stuff with a discount going on and was about to buy a camera system when I found out a NVR identical on ebay for way less money! Continuing my 'research' found out that most sellers are resellers aka the middleman, nothing wrong with it just that us budget minded consumers are always looking for the best bang for our buck. Resellers like SCW, backstreet and bnhphotovideo provide support and such but as I said I look for the better deal always and support myself through the internet lol. In my 'research' I found this Dahua ipc hdw4631c-a camera with the Dahua nvr4104-p-4sk2 to work great! Bought it on eBay from someone out of Walton, Kentucky (100% positive feedback) for around $225 (155 nvr+70cam) plus the cat6 cables and 2tb HDD. Have space for 3 more cameras at around $70 a piece.

As others have said daytime is great, night time is very limited, I plan to add a 25 IR piece for around $60. Software is all in plain English. I don't plan to upgrade it to avoid any issues as it's working perfectly. Though the day image is awesome (3072x2048@20fps) I wish it was better but I guess that would be 3840x2160@30 fps and up cameras which would cost a LOT more. BTW what's the difference between this camera and the N64CG53 sold by bnhphotovideo among others? It seems to be exactly the same camera for over $120 more. Maybe the official US version?

Overall my only disatisfaction is the range of the night vision which I'm planning to help with an IR light.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. In my 'research' I found this Dahua ipc hdw4631c-a camera with the Dahua nvr4104-p-4sk2 to work great! Bought it on eBay from someone out of Walton, Kentucky (100% positive feedback) for around $225 (155 nvr+70cam) plus the cat6 cables and 2tb HDD. Have space for 3 more cameras at around $70 a piece.

As others have said daytime is great, night time is very limited, I plan to add a 25 IR piece for around $60. Software is all in plain English. I don't plan to upgrade it to avoid any issues as it's working perfectly. Though the day image is awesome (3072x2048@20fps) I wish it was better but I guess that would be 3840x2160@30 fps and up cameras which would cost a LOT more. BTW what's the difference between this camera and the N64CG53 sold by bnhphotovideo among others? It seems to be exactly the same camera for over $120 more. Maybe the official US version?
HI @Truth

China region cameras are different than the international and us market models. So definitely NOT the same hardware and firmware as the US market cameras you see B&H sell.

Please remember to keep those Chinese market cameras well protected and isolated from the internet, just a question of time when cameras which can not be updated will get compromised.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
A camera advertisement that says both "international version" and "not support firmware upgrade" is misleading. If you can't upgrade the firmware, it's not an "international" version, but rather a chinese market camera, with the firmware hacked to english language. There's nothing particularly wrong with these cameras. They don't have the low-light capability of the international starlight models, but otherwise perform just as well. Until recently, it was a simple tradeoff between how much you wanted to spend vs. low light sensitivity. Recently, however, dahua has thrown a monkey wrench into this with new NVR firmware that actively rejects chinese market cameras. At the same time, more 2 mp international starlight models have become available at lower price points. While the starlights are still more expensive, the gap is less than it was just a year ago. Coupled with the NVR rejecting the chinese market cameras, they're a less attractive choice than in the past.

Truth

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. How do I know for sure (if there's a way) whether I have an international vs Chinese cam? Software has the option to upgrade even automatically. NVR came with a quick guide in English. If I CAN upgrade does that mean is safe to connect to the internet?IMG_20180705_185227.jpg IMG_20180705_185831.jpg

Truth

n3wb
Reaction score
Also what I said about that camera from bnh has to do with the look and specs...they seem identical. So identical looks and identical specs equals the same...but REMEMBER I'm a total noob so idk.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can't find the exact model number of the cam you are looking at, at the USA or International Dahua's sites, it's a good bet they are China region.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. How do I know for sure (if there's a way) whether I have an international vs Chinese cam? Software has the option to upgrade even automatically. NVR came with a quick guide in English. If I CAN upgrade does that mean is safe to connect to the internet?...
@Truth please see the notes, please see the discussion.

We've covered these questions numerous times.

Q: If I CAN upgrade does that mean is safe to connect to the internet?
A: No.

Also what I said about that camera from bnh has to do with the look and specs...they seem identical. So identical looks and identical specs equals the same...but REMEMBER I'm a total noob so idk.
@Truth what specs in particular makes you feel they are the same?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If the advertising says "can't" or "don't" upgrade, it's a chinese market camera. You can load newer firmware, but if you do the camera won't speak english any more. If you're a certified nerd there are tools out there to assist hacking english firmware to run on a chinese market camera. Not worth the time and effort for most people :)