Quick opinion needed - replacing old Q-see

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking could be done. A 4/4 POE port in the shop and another one in the house for the house cameras. Then the single Cat5e cable running underground to the house router which connects the 2 PoE ports. I attached a diagram.

Also, whats the issue with the Dahua "international version" versus the other when using Blue Iris? Ive read issues about firmware upgrade problems, but is it only for non-Blue Iris or OMVIF? Is there a reason to steer cler wit hthis setup?

View attachment 21731
You want the International version cams from Dahua. The other you refer to are China Region cams, and those can't usually be upgraded along with other issue's.

So, any cams you think about purchasing, be sure you can find the exact model number on the: http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/
Otherwise they are probably China Region cams, which you don't want. Those are what you typically find on Amazon or Ebay.

This has nothing to do with BI.

And as David said, you want Gigabyte capable switches.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Kurtis,

You can do the network the way you listed it, or the way David diagrammed it, or a combination between the two...

When considering this, do take into account the quality of the equipment - and try to maximize the reliability of the system.

Assume each router / switch has a failure % - better equipment that % is lower. David's layout reduces the number of failure points - so that's a positive.
( Adding 4 more lines reduces one more failure point - but that will be extra work to pull the lines )

If you get good PoE switches which are backed up by a good UPS your failure % should be fairly low with David's design.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great, and thanks again! I will probably do the two switches since pulling 4 cables will be tough and risk cutting a length too short only to find out after its been pulled.

Just a quick question, the plastic underground cable pipe crosses over a larger pipe carrying 200amp 00 copper wire running service to the house. They run near each other at the house. The power is buried 24"+ while the plastic pipe is shallow, maybe 12"? Will this create an issue with interference of any kind?

Will two of these switches work on the above diagram? It seems I need 6 connections on one so maybe an 8 port https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Port-Switch-Ports-Uplink/dp/B00WKRBI0W/ref=sr_1_8?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1505347391&sr=8-8&keywords=poe+switch+gigabit&refinements=p_85:2470955011

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.