quick question / advice

sonup2000

n3wb
Reaction score
great forum here. so i just built a i7 4790 - 12gb ram 240 ssd for OS win 7 ultimate. i am still tweaking everything but i have 1 questions.
btw i am running 5 Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I at 15 fps in BI and also made the change in each camera. all camera resolution is 2048 x 1536. doing 24/7 recording direct to disk. also have motion trigger recording set for few cameras so i don't have to search trough hrs of recording to find something.

my question is i am doing about 200gb of recording per day for all 5 cameras. is there any way to lower file size? i have a 1tb drive i am only getting about 4-5 days of recording i want atleast 10. eventually my plan is to get motion working perfectly so i can stop 24 hr recording. right because i have 2 camera that have xmas lights in view which wind blows starts trigger. i tried to mask but wasn't working too well. i need to record that area for movement.

thanks
sunny

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can easily reduce file size.

Go into each camera and reduce the bit rate. This will directly affect how much video data is produced. Cut the bit rate in half and you should get twice the recording duration. Now, obviously, this will reduce the image quality significantly. You can make up for it somewhat by reducing the frame rates, but this may not be effective enough to be worthwhile to you.

Here are a few other options to consider.

1. You could set up the cameras' sub streams as separate cameras in Blue Iris, and have them record 24/7 with the main stream recording only on motion. You should be able to get weeks of recording storage doing this.
2. Buy a larger hard drive. 3-4 TB is usually around the best value, but you can get them up to 6 TB. No need to sacrifice image quality then, and maybe you can even increase bit rates some.
3. Instead of reducing bit rates and frame rates on the camera, switch off direct to disk (I think you should have plenty of CPU power for this) and reduce the frame rate and bit rate of the recordings in Blue Iris only. This way you keep higher quality in the live view.
4. Consider just switching some cams to overly sensitive motion detection; I know this can get really spammy on the alerts side of things but even a spammy motion detection cam is going to use a lot less storage space than a 24/7 recording cam.

sonup2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, you can easily reduce file size.

Go into each camera and reduce the bit rate. This will directly affect how much video data is produced. Cut the bit rate in half and you should get twice the recording duration. Now, obviously, this will reduce the image quality significantly. You can make up for it somewhat by reducing the frame rates, but this may not be effective enough to be worthwhile to you.

Here are a few other options to consider.

1. You could set up the cameras' sub streams as separate cameras in Blue Iris, and have them record 24/7 with the main stream recording only on motion. You should be able to get weeks of recording storage doing this.
2. Buy a larger hard drive. 3-4 TB is usually around the best value, but you can get them up to 6 TB. No need to sacrifice image quality then, and maybe you can even increase bit rates some.
3. Instead of reducing bit rates and frame rates on the camera, switch off direct to disk (I think you should have plenty of CPU power for this) and reduce the frame rate and bit rate of the recordings in Blue Iris only. This way you keep higher quality in the live view.
4. Consider just switching some cams to overly sensitive motion detection; I know this can get really spammy on the alerts side of things but even a spammy motion detection cam is going to use a lot less storage space than a 24/7 recording cam.
this is great info. this is what I am trying to achieve :

all i I need my system to do is record high quality when it sees some movement in the screen . Small animals is fine but I don't want it so sensitive that it picks up leaves or garbage blowing. Right now one of the cameras has xmas string lights in the view which is constantly moving because of wind but I will remove them after xmas. I don't have any monitor connected to system I just Remote Desktop if I need to do anything in there . I usually just view in web browser or iPhone app. I don't want to receive any alerts I just need it to record when it sees movement. I hope all this makes sense. Thanks for all ur help

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
By "Alerts" I meant recordings categorized under "alerts". These are created when the camera is triggered (usually be motion detection), and don't necessarily send notifications to you (though it can be set up to notify you).

You know you can always use a mask in the motion detection configuration so the lights do not set it off.

sonup2000

n3wb
Reaction score
That makes sense .. So much to learn.. I will fool around with it and ask any question if needed. Thanks for ur help. Love love the ur web interface.. So much better.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment. I agree it is a lot better, which is why I spent so much of my free time building it :)

sonup2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Can't wait for new ver when u will add the storage option.. Btw I want to add one more camera so I will have total of 6. I don't mind picking up more storage 2-3 Tb.

sonup2000

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you mean? (EDIT: OH, the storage status readout thing you asked about in the other thread)
ok here is my problem I have attached a pic . I want to record every motion but the hanging lights move too much with wind. Even if I mask the light area the wind is sometimes too much and still triggers motion .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is really nothing perfect you can do...
selecting object detect reject will stop most of the false alarms but you will miss some true motion events...
You might try increasing the make time a bit...

sonup2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, the hanging "icicle" style lights! I see your problem. LOL
what a pita... i want to record any cars or people moving on street but dam icicle lights are moving too much because of wind:mad-new: