Quick review: Hikvision DS-7108N-SN

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
ow does the Dahua work with non-brand IP camera's in regard to features like motion detect?
You need to match hardware (Camera and NVR) brands in order for advanced features to be compatible. Mixing brands will require you to utilize the ONVIF stream which typically will only supply video and not advanced functionality. The only way around this is to use a PC based solution with VMS software that supports mult brands, etc.

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to match hardware (Camera and NVR) brands in order for advanced features to be compatible. Mixing brands will require you to utilize the ONVIF stream which typically will only supply video and not advanced functionality. The only way around this is to use a PC based solution with VMS software that supports mult brands, etc.
Nice and true generic advise, but I was asking to know specifically about Dahua NVR and Sofia (port 34567) IPC's
As mentioned, HikVision NVR and port 34567 IPC do actually work for ONVIF motion detect. Which in my view is the most important feature (other then actually getting video)

Another feature the two agree on is syncing up the clock, which is also nice especially since I completely isolated the camera's from the internet for security reason, so they cannot use NTP. So all in all, I guess the port 34567 type ONVIF implementation is not all that bad, so who knows, hoping for similar results with Dahua is not all that naive.

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
How does the Dahua work with non-brand IP camera's in regard to features like motion detect?
Nice and true generic advise, but I was asking to know specifically about Dahua NVR and Sofia (port 34567) IPC's
Actually you asked an open ended question regarding non-brand IP cameras interfacing with Dahua equipment - thus you got a Generic answer because I can't answer for every non-branded onvif camera and how it will interact with a Dahua NVR.

Also, I doubt anyone on this forum can provide you an answer with the exception of IPVM coming the closest since most of us have not used 10X different brands nor do most of us interact with unbraded inexpensive cameras, the majority of us have detailed experience with fewer than 6 or 7 brands I would say that we feel comfortable speaking in detail about...

Further more their are different ONVIF protocals to worry about/contend with across different camera manufactures that can change the interaction/outcome. So, said "generic" advice is prob. the best and only advice your going to get. :facepalm:

tmcata

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm writing here as being closest to my questions.
- I have a NVR DS-7104N with firmware 3.0.13 which i purchased from China on which i changed the language with the Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS
- I have 3 generic ONVIF camera (with 34567 port) and 1 HIK camera (3T10, in chinese because i didn't succeed to change the language)
Unfortunately i cannot connect these cameras to NVR whatever configuration i am trying (ONVIF or custom). Can you tell me how should i configure the NVR to accept these cameras?

Regarding the NVR firmware, can i try to upgrade directly to 3.0.21? I saw the posts about incremental upgrades but I don't find the intermediate firmware.

Thanks

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HIK camera, I have no experiance.
But the fact you are unable to make a HIK camera work on a HIK NVR hints that you may have a network problem. You sure your cables and IP addresses are correct?
In which case you should ignore the rest of this post.

But otherwise:

As to the 34567 camera's : While I label them port 34567 camera's because that is their manufacturers control port, their Onvif port is (from memory) port 8899
Make sure you mention that in the NVR as Onvif port. Also check if you can connect to them with Onvif Device manage.

In rare cases (1 out of the 6 34567 camera's I bought) the 34567 camera was without Onvif compatibility server build in.
In that single case I was lucky to find the firmware for the same camera with Onvif included, but flashing firmware on cameras is always risky!
You can check that by the xxx.100010.xxxx string in the firmware, here are my notes from back then:

Code:
http://www.hkvstar.com/technology-news/china-ip-camera-configuration-firmware.html
Cryptographic password for admin: tlJwpbo6
Version: V4.02.R12.00017502.10010.042300.00300, BuildTime: 2016-04-07 13:34:42
1xxxx means : Cloud Service
x1xxx means : Basic Video Analytics
xx1xx means : Advanced Video Analytics
xxx1x means : ONVIF Server (IPC)
xxxx1 means : ONVIF Client (NVR)

tmcata

n3wb
Reaction score
HIK camera, I have no experiance.
But the fact you are unable to make a HIK camera work on a HIK NVR hints that you may have a network problem. You sure your cables and IP addresses are correct?
In which case you should ignore the rest of this post.

But otherwise:

As to the 34567 camera's : While I label them port 34567 camera's because that is their manufacturers control port, their Onvif port is (from memory) port 8899
Make sure you mention that in the NVR as Onvif port. Also check if you can connect to them with Onvif Device manage.

In rare cases (1 out of the 6 34567 camera's I bought) the 34567 camera was without Onvif compatibility server build in.
In that single case I was lucky to find the firmware for the same camera with Onvif included, but flashing firmware on cameras is always risky!
You can check that by the xxx.100010.xxxx string in the firmware, here are my notes from back then:

Code:
http://www.hkvstar.com/technology-news/china-ip-camera-configuration-firmware.html
Cryptographic password for admin: tlJwpbo6
Version: V4.02.R12.00017502.10010.042300.00300, BuildTime: 2016-04-07 13:34:42
1xxxx means : Cloud Service
x1xxx means : Basic Video Analytics
xx1xx means : Advanced Video Analytics
xxx1x means : ONVIF Server (IPC)
xxxx1 means : ONVIF Client (NVR)
HIK camera is a different story. In the meantime died and I will open a separate post for this.

Yes, the cameras are ONVIF and all have xxx.10010.xxx in their firmware. Even more, I know are ONVIF capable because i can see them, from inside the network, with TinyCam Pro on which i configured these cameras as ONVIF.
The problem is when configure HIK NVR with these cameras i get attached errors (2nd appear after few minutes of waiting).

Attachments

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, weird. Mine really work:
(The one with parameter error is indeed offline)

upload_2017-7-23_13-44-15.png

My next guesses:
(sorry of they are obvious and tried already)

- You really sure the password is OK? Try a password without funny characters, I had some problems with that once
- Are camera and nvr on the same network, no NAT or firewall? Not using VLAN?
- Try setting TCP as protocol on the local config page

- Try to build a working URL like "rtsp://192.168.1.10:554/user=admin_password=tlJwpbo6_channel=1_stream=0.sdp?real_stream" with VLC
Once you know that works, add it to the NVR as custom protocol.

- Upgrade firmware. I am on V3.0.20 build 161126 at the moment (it will go to chinese if I ever dare to a factory reset), but when I got it first it was at V3.0.13 build 150503
However, I am pretty sure I got the 34567 camera's working on V3.0.13 also, so it should not really matter.

Edit: You modded the firmware using the tool. Did you mod the NIK IPCAM or the NVR?
I wonder if that may be of influence, though I admit it is a weird suggestion.
I read the stuff on language modding, but I never did it myself because I did not have to connect HIK camera's.

Last edited:

tmcata

n3wb
Reaction score
My next guesses:
(sorry of they are obvious and tried already)

- You really sure the password is OK? Try a password without funny characters, I had some problems with that once
- Are camera and nvr on the same network, no NAT or firewall? Not using VLAN?
- Try setting TCP as protocol on the local config page
- I tried with very simple password and same result:(
- they are on the same network, no VLAN
- TCP as protocol, I am not sure about what setting you are speaking

- Try to build a working URL like "rtsp://192.168.1.10:554/user=admin_password=tlJwpbo6_channel=1_stream=0.sdp?real_stream" with VLC
Once you know that works, add it to the NVR as custom protocol.
I tried this but I am not sure I'm correctly doing it in NVR: when adding a camera as custom protocol is requesting IP, user and password; should i add the entire URL when configuring the custom protocol?

- Upgrade firmware. I am on V3.0.20 build 161126 at the moment (it will go to chinese if I ever dare to a factory reset), but when I got it first it was at V3.0.13 build 150503
Here is one question: can i directly upgrade to 3.0.21, as this is the only i found to download? Do you know from where i can take the previous versions?
To be mentioned that i modded the 3.0.13 to change the language from Chinese to English.

Edit: You modded the firmware using the tool. Did you mod the NIK IPCAM or the NVR?
I wonder if that may be of influence, though I admit it is a weird suggestion.
I read the stuff on language modding, but I never did it myself because I did not have to connect HIK camera's.
I modded just the NVR, because the camera I couldn't do it.
The strange thing is the entire setup was working (including HIK camera) until I changed the cameras' IP. Later, when seeing isn't working, I comeback to old IPs without success.
As I said, during all these changes I could (and still can) see the streams on my Android phone using TinyCam Pro...
This is driving me crazy because I tried all kind of combinations, except upgrading the NVR.

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The strange thing is the entire setup was working (including HIK camera) until I changed the cameras' IP.
Are you saying the 34567 cameras worked, before changing IP?

If so, that rather significant. Possibly even deserved to be mentioned on your very first post.

It leads me to think of one of two possible issues:
- Again a network error. What IP and subnet mask is your NVR on. Are you overlooking an incorrect subnet mask? Same for camera's (prints please)
Sorry man, I do not want to be pedantic, but I have been there too, blind to and overlooking my own "Doh" moments.

- Some wrong config stuck in the NVR. Maybe you should do a factory reset. Especially as you did not install those higher versions yet.

BTW: I have all intermediate firmware's for you, but I do not want to give them yet, because the 13 should work.
Especially now you tell me it worked already before. Lets not introduce more variables into the mix.

tmcata

n3wb
Reaction score
It leads me to think of one of two possible issues:
- Again a network error. What IP and subnet mask is your NVR on. Are you overlooking an incorrect subnet mask? Same for camera's (prints please)
Sorry man, I do not want to be pedantic, but I have been there too, blind to and overlooking my own "Doh" moments.
In my view i am not doing something wrong, but i attached the network config for all (except HIK camera which is for the moment dead). BTW, I will change the 2nd DNS, but i don't believe has an influence. All these cameras are connected thru an unmanaged switch to the router and the NVR is directly to the router. I can ping successfully the NVR and i would like to have telnet on NVR to ping directly the cameras...

- Some wrong config stuck in the NVR. Maybe you should do a factory reset. Especially as you did not install those higher versions yet.
This or the upgrade are my last ideas. I tried to avoid because i don't see something wrong in what i did and this setup is remotely (I connect over a VPN) and if something is going wrong will take time to physically access:(
In addition, when factory reset the NVR will revert to Chinese:(

Attachments

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I do not see anything wrong with your network either. Was kind of hoping you accidentally set a 252 netmask instead of a 255 one.

I do wonder why you have a 1460 MTU?
Why did you set that?

It should not matter. I have a 1492 MTU myself, but that is because I have the camera's on a VLAN, one that cannot connect to the internet, so for protection against embedded malware.
Your choice of 1460 is interesting, because 1460 is more the value that you set for MSS rather then MTU: MTU, MSS, and TCP window size | LAN, Switching and Routing | Cisco Support Community
Not that it should matter, but as we are apparently are beyond our skill level here, you may as well try leaving it blank (iow 1500) or 1492

Factory reset would only revert to Chinese if you have applied a Chinese firmware (like I did). Did you not modify it to an English firmware?

tmcata

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I do not see anything wrong with your network either. Was kind of hoping you accidentally set a 252 netmask instead of a 255 one.

I do wonder why you have a 1460 MTU?
Why did you set that?

It should not matter. I have a 1492 MTU myself, but that is because I have the camera's on a VLAN, one that cannot connect to the internet, so for protection against embedded malware.
Your choice of 1460 is interesting, because 1460 is more the value that you set for MSS rather then MTU: MTU, MSS, and TCP window size | LAN, Switching and Routing | Cisco Support Community
Not that it should matter, but as we are apparently are beyond our skill level here, you may as well try leaving it blank (iow 1500) or 1492

Factory reset would only revert to Chinese if you have applied a Chinese firmware (like I did). Did you not modify it to an English firmware?
I will play with MTU later when back home.
The firmware is modded Chinese because I understood I should not apply a 7104-NI firmware to a 7104-N NVR.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but I am having trouble adding my Dahua PTZ via ONVIF.

I can only get it to work in RTSP. I get parameter error. I know ONVIF works via ONVIF Device manager.

The NVR is from china. Not sure if I should do a firmware upgrade, but my firmware is V3.0.7 build 140725

simste

n3wb
Reaction score
I just upgraded my DS-7104N-SN/P to the firmware version on the China site, 3.0.20 build 161126. I upgraded through the GUI, worked flawlessly and the GUI is still in English. Encoding version is still 5.0 build 151229, is there any newer?

UPDATE: I upgraded a DS-7108N-SN/P on another site and this too worked flawlessly.

The firmware is available on the Hikvision China site but I've also attached it here for ease of use.
I confirm that the firmware v. 3.0.20 build 161126 is working fine.

I saw in the China Site the v. V3.0.21 build170417 http://download.hikvision.com/UploadFile/Soft/NVR/NVR_(78_71_4_8è·¯_SN)_V3.0.21_170417.zip . Anyone tried it?

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, but I did grab it just in case. Building up quite the collection.
Not planning to apply it because we are in business season, and all is working.

Your link did not work for me. I got it from here though.
Oddly, my file is labeled with 170418 in stead of 170417 ???
Can you hash the digicap.dav file inside your download (certutil is already in your windows)
The one I downloaded is:
Code:
C:\>CertUtil -hashfile digicap.dav
SHA1 hash of file digicap.dav:
f6024afee6ee7a63cda2cbbcf945eb24f5329f7c
I will play with MTU later when back home.
The firmware is modded Chinese because I understood I should not apply a 7104-NI firmware to a 7104-N NVR.
Any update? I am curious.

Sorry to hijack, but I am having trouble adding my Dahua PTZ via ONVIF [....] but my firmware is V3.0.7 build 140725
Sorry do not know Dahua, but 3.0.7 is really old. To be sure, please list full model. Especially N-SN or NI-SN is important.

Last edited:

tmcata

n3wb
Reaction score
Any update? I am curious
Sorry. Busy with the job and didn't have time to reply.

I tried the MTU change and factory reset and none was helping:(
I started to question myself if isn't a network problem but I don't have idea what else to check:( I am thinking to see if isn't from a router (DD-WRT) upgrade, even wasn't correlated with the time the issue started.

I will come back as soon I have updates.

PS: would be good to have a telnet on NVR to ping the ip cam...

simste

n3wb
Reaction score
Your link did not work for me.
try from here: 海康威视是以视频为核心的物联网解决方案和数据运营服务提供商,面向全球提供安防、可视化管理与大数据服务。

the file: http://download.hikvision.com/UploadFile/Soft/NVR/NVR_(78_71_4_8路_SN)_V3.0.21_170417.zip
(DS-7100/7800N-SN(4、8路)系列支持萤石云程序包 - V3.0.21 build170417)
Hash File:

NVR_(78_4_8路_SNH_SHT)_V3.0.21_170418 (your file)
Hash SHA1 del file digicap.dav:
f6024afee6ee7a63cda2cbbcf945eb24f5329f7c
NVR_(78_71_4_8路_SN)_V3.0.21_170417
Hash SHA1 del file digicap.dav:
1a1730d0d0916cdb30150c245892ee99e890af9a

Link updated

Last edited:

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Still the wrong link, sorry.
And I see I clicked on the wrong line, the 78 instead of the 71/78
Fixed the post above to ensure people do not download the wrong one.

Anyway: Final links:
List of firmwares
Actual firmware

Last edited:

tmcata

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry. Busy with the job and didn't have time to reply.

I started to question myself if isn't a network problem but I don't have idea what else to check:( I am thinking to see if isn't from a router (DD-WRT) upgrade, even wasn't correlated with the time the issue started.

I will come back as soon I have updates.

PS: would be good to have a telnet on NVR to ping the ip cam...

Had few minutes available and I remembered that one camera has telnet...
The issue is from network:(:(:( the ping from camera don't reach the NVR. So much time spent on NVR and the issue is from router:banghead:
Now, what is happening with the router (DD-WRT) is a different story and the first investigation showed that the ports are on the same VLAN! Unfortunately, I am checking remotely and don't have the physical access to the ports.
I will continue tomorrow evening...
Anyway, I will not write the evolutions on this post because for the time being isn't linked to NVR.

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, it would be nice if the NVR had a ping diagnostics. Or if the camera config would report "connection timeout" instead of always "parameter error".
I guess a hint is how long it takes to go to parameter error, it obviously is a timeout rather than a wrong parameter. We should check if it also takes that long of you make an actual parameter error like wrong port or protocol, but right IP.

So it did not revert to Chinese when you did the factory reset. Which should be correct because you never applied a native Chinese firmware.
But you say you modded the firmware yourself to English. I would not all mind having a hint/link/description on how you did that.

The only instruction I remember is to change a HIK IPCAM to report itself as English, by changing a single byte in the firmware.
But it sounds like you actually changed to NVR, and actually changed the language.
When you have time of course...