Quick review: Hikvision DS-7108N-SN

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All channels are real time playback, but just one at 1080 at on the Mux screen the others will be CIF.

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thats strange.i can do playback 1080p , 4 channels at same time. with 2 channels playing( like in picture ) it is realtime. but when going to 4, it is not (seconds jumping )
see picture

Attachments

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bump, Trying to get my Huisun to work with this thing, but it's not. On the web configuration, it says "Error: network is disconnected or abnormal"

Any one have experience on how to add this with PTZ function?

Thanks

Reaction score
Also highly interested to see the Huisun's PTZ working on this one, I get the same error on my web interface when trying PTZ. On the NVR itself the PTZ function seems not even to be available. Mine is the Chinese version running a multilanguage 3.07 Firmware. Like EPcjay, would be nice to hear the experience of others. NB, have the PoE model, but not using that.

thx

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It seems this website has some firmware as well as minimal changelog information.
For example: for 7116NI-SN V3.0.16build150617 mostly has updates for password and prevent downgrade.
We can then assume that V3.0.16 for 7104 and 7108 has the same

http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/download_89.html

DS-7116NI-SN, DS-7116NI-SN/N, DS-7116NI-SN/P
Updates:
1. Password creating is required before using the NVR (Local GUI menu, web browser, client software and SADP software are optional);
2. Password strength prompts(Risk,Weak, Medium, Strong) in NVR local GUI menu, web browser, client software and SADP software, and risk password is not permitted;
3. Lock the remote IP addresses for 30 minutes once login with wrong username or password after several times;
4. Can not be downgraded to lower firmare version;
5. Fix some small bugs.
6. Other updates.

Edit: hmm, the same is listed for 3.0.13 for the 7104/8 directly, so 3.0.13 or 3.0.16 are the same update or (more likely) no-one bothered to rewrite the change-list.

DS-7104NI-SN, DS-7104NI-SN/N, DS-7104NI-SN/P, DS-7108NI-SN, DS-7108NI-SN/N, DS-7108NI-SN/P
Updates:
1. Password creating is required before using the NVR (Local GUI menu, web browser, client software and SADP software are optional);
2. Password strength prompts(Risk,Weak, Medium, Strong) in NVR local GUI menu, web browser, client software and SADP software, and risk password is not permitted;
3. Lock the remote IP addresses for 30 minutes once login with wrong username or password after several times;
4. Can not be downgraded to lower firmare version;
5. Other updates.

Last edited by a moderator:

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I paused a while on the Hikvision, but now found some time to experiment some more.

I have a china imported 7108N-SN
But I did manage to get it to 3.0.19 160722 using the Chinese website download.

edit: there is now also a 3.0.20 161126 version : NVR_(78_71_4_8路_SN)_V3.0.20_161126.zip
Edit: and a 3.0.21, see next page

First I checked an almost guaranteed 3.0.13 with English, to see if I could always go back.
Several people reported it to work. After that, I dared to try the various other firmware's I found.

I only used the web-interface flash, never the tftp-flash.
The overseas and europe firmware's did not load. Only the Chinese ones from 海康威视-领先的视频产品&内容服务提供商
Note that I could not download from that website using Chrome, but it did download using IE

Note that I do not know if I have a camera country problem. I only have no-name Chinese camera's. I suspect if you have issue with Hikvision's region, you would still need to apply the firmware patch program found elsewhere in this forum.

Excerpt from my notes:

Code:
Original version was 3.0.13, but after successful flash of the following device remained working and the same:
"v3.0.13. build 150429 multilingual Hikvison DS-7104N-SN"
So it seems we can always revert to original with this.

After flash of "NVR_(71-4,8路-SN)_V3.0.14_150518"
V3.0.14 build 150518
V5.0 build 150413
Still seems to work well.
Config save "file already exists" bug seems gone
Seems to properly check password on port 34567 (XMEYE) camera's

File "NVR_78_71_4_8路_SN_V3.0.18_151231" did not flash from 3.0.13, but did work from 3.0.14
V3.0.18 build 151231
V5.0 build 151229
No obvious changes.

File "NVR_(78_71_4_8路_SN)_V3.0.19_160722" did not flash from 3.0.13, but did work from 3.0.18
V3.0.19 build 160722
V5.0 build 151229
No obvious changes.
PS: If you buy cheap China camera's with this device, I advise ones that show XMEYE android app. These typically use tcp port 34567 for control, 8899 for onvif and then at least the motion detect feature works with Hikvision. Other settings you still need to use the camera's own CMS management app.

Other camera's, that I would label port 20200 camera's, no feature worked, also not motion detect. Live view and record, but that's it.

WARNING:
Though I report it all works and no chinese, 007 on the next page discovered the hard way that with these firmware's, if you do a full factory reset, then it resets to chinese...

... I did a factory reset...

DON'T DO IT!!!

It resets the box to Chinese ...

Last edited:

Mbwana

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the DS-7108N-SN because it has no fan and therefor virtually noiseless. I use 5 hikvision camera's off which 2 Chinese models. In Live view single screen mode all camera's are showing a good image. In multi-screen mode two camera's (DS 2CD8253F and DS-2CD2032-I) are showing a yellow barrier (see picture). Does anyone knows what is going wrong and most of all how to fix it?

The Firmware of the NVR is 3.0.18 build 151231. I was not able to install the 3.0.20 which I downloaded from the Chinese website. I used the link from cybermaus.

Attachments

kantzow

n3wb
Reaction score
I just upgraded my DS-7104N-SN/P to the firmware version on the China site, 3.0.20 build 161126. I upgraded through the GUI, worked flawlessly and the GUI is still in English. Encoding version is still 5.0 build 151229, is there any newer?

UPDATE: I upgraded a DS-7108N-SN/P on another site and this too worked flawlessly.

The firmware is available on the Hikvision China site but I've also attached it here for ease of use.

Attachments

Last edited:

CmdrBond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just upgraded my DS-7104N-SN/P to the firmware version on the China site, 3.0.20 build 161126. I upgraded through the GUI, worked flawlessly and the GUI is still in English. Encoding version is still 5.0 build 151229, is there any newer?

UPDATE: I upgraded a DS-7108N-SN/P on another site and this too worked flawlessly.

The firmware is available on the Hikvision China site but I've also attached it here for ease of use.
Thanks.

I used this to upgrade my 7108N-SN/P as well...

Only, trying to play around with the EZVIZ I did a factory reset...

DON'T DO IT!!!

It resets the box to Chinese and although you can still have English in the web view, the NVR when connected via VGA/HDMI will only show Chinese, and there are no other languages in the drop down.

I did however recover mine back to 3.0.10 via TFTP thanks to @whoslooking 's posts on this site.

Last edited:

CmdrBond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
...In multi-screen mode two camera's (DS 2CD8253F and DS-2CD2032-I) are showing a yellow barrier (see picture). Does anyone knows what is going wrong and most of all how to fix it?

Is it just in multiview?

If it's that obstruction in the bottom left, it looks like something is physically obstructing the lens...

Depending how close to the lens it is, it could be tiny!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I updated my sister's to v3.0.20 no problem. Not sure what the difference is but was happy to do it as I knew I could TFTP back to 3.0.10 if needed.

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I updated my sister's to v3.0.20 no problem. Not sure what the difference is but was happy to do it as I knew I could TFTP back to 3.0.10 if needed.
Not that I advise to, but did you do a full factory reset after going to 20? That's when it failed for CmdrBond.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not that I advise to, but did you do a full factory reset after going to 20? That's when it failed for CmdrBond.
Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Don't factory reset these or they go back to Chinese and then you have to TFTP 3.0.10 on again.

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, sorry man. But its good to get independent confirmation of CmdrBond's findings.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, sorry man. But its good to get independent confirmation of CmdrBond's findings.
No worries, just don't want others temporary bricking their NVRs.

For under £100 direct from UK the 7108N-SN/P is a mini bargain. Having said that I'm never buying Hikvision ever again.

Just got a Dahua NVR1104-P for a friend (same as 7104 but Dahua), not installing it for a few weeks but will post a review with that soon.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Still Loving HIK, as the trade prices are real low now,
Also HIK TVI range trade at £30 for 2mp its like a give away, ( but companies like ADT are still selling these at over £400 installed lol

But Dahua original English retail units available on AE for less than £55 that is a bargin.

cybermaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No worries, just don't want others temporary bricking their NVRs.

For under £100 direct from UK the 7108N-SN/P is a mini bargain. Having said that I'm never buying Hikvision ever again.

Just got a Dahua NVR1104-P for a friend (same as 7104 but Dahua), not installing it for a few weeks but will post a review with that soon.
How does the Dahua work with non-brand IP camera's in regard to features like motion detect?

I have a small 8-channel mini NVR, of which I believe it is from the same root at Dahua (after reading the Dahua manual with schreenshots, I recognise some of them), and that device did support Onvif, but failed to work with Motion detect, even though that is also part of Onvif. The HikVision does detect the Onvif motion detect on cheap IPC's that use port 34567 for control. Thats why I am not using that mini-NVR anymore: never got motion detect to work.