R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My camera is now configured on the most recent firmware!
Well done on getting there, another good result!

The only thing I changed in my process (which I didn't even notice I did not do the first time) was extracting brickfixv2 files.
Just my curiosity - no big deal, but you never know, could be useful for others - I don't quite follow what you changed. The brickfixv2 firmware must have been installed OK as the /dav/fixup.sh script was available. What was missing was the /dav/fixup_stage1.txt file, which is created when the brickfixv2 firmware is executed to drop it's payload by power-cycling the camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However, the remainder of my cameras (3 DS-2CD2035-I's and 1 DS-2CD2142FWD-IS) are proving problematic,
These are possibly G0 (probably, depends on the fine detail of the model number. G1 if FWD) and R6 series respectively.
Firmware for R6 English updateable cameras can be downloaded from here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL

For English / updateable, there is G0 and G1 firmware here : Hikvision UK & Ireland

hoped that I could use brickfixv2 to upgrade the UK cameras
Note - brickfixv2 is only for R0 cameras that have been bricked by an EN/ML firmware update, or China region R0 cameras to make them updateable.

DJBenson

n3wb
Reaction score
As would be my luck, four "unofficial" cameras upgraded with not a single issue, one "official" camera done and it's b0rked! Flashed the "Baseline Firmware IPC_R6_v5.5.5 build180111" firmware to the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS as it's on the supported camera's list, uploaded and rebooted then it's disappeared. My network monitoring tool tells me it's changed to the default IP address of 192.168.1.64 but the web UI is not accessible and SADP cannot find it.

DJBenson

n3wb
Reaction score
Doubtful - it was an Amazon Warehouse item from 2016 :banghead:

I've retrieved the offending camera from my office and now have it sat on the kitchen table where I've reset it and it's now shown up in SADP with the 4.0 firmware (which from reading is the minimal recovery environment?) so I guess not as terminal as first thought. It also has the 1.5mm serial header on and I have a USB to TTL and am fairly confident in a console so just need a couple of pointers. Happy to move this to a new thread as it's probably best not to crash your thread :)

EDIT: Crisis averted, TFTP-booted the latest firmware again and it's back up and running fine.

/phew.

EDIT2: Looks like the 3 DS-2CD2035-I's I have are in fact Chinese imports - was convinced they English models. Are there any options out there to upgrade these cameras?

Last edited:

Bernagh

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alistair for what you have shared! Just unbricked 2 cameras bought on eBay, upgraded unwittingly and managed to upgrade a third which I knew I could not upgrade but had lost functionality due to NVR firmware updates. Now all upgraded and fully functional again.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
EDIT2: Looks like the 3 DS-2CD2035-I's I have are in fact Chinese imports - was convinced they English models. Are there any options out there to upgrade these cameras?
I've updated a 3335 and a 2335 recently that had 'hacked to English' firmware that had all updating options disabled - but only by use of the serial console access.
This was the first - a bit of a discovery journey : Long-shot help request - Hikvision DS-2CD3335D - G0 series IPC.
The second was easier as I already knew what to do - directly applied a tweaked version of the stock firmware after changing the u-boot bootparms to get to a shell prompt. I think I posted about that - but can't immediately find it.

Reaction score
From across the pond I want to express my gratitude and say "go raibh maith agat". Your expert tutorial helped me save face with a customer and bring his camera back to life. DS-2CD2732F-I is once again amongst the living. We had an unscrupulous Ops Manager that was ordering CH versions from Amazon rather than from our usual supplier. Thank goodness he has been ousted1

nitinbali

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi alastairstevenson,

I have a 2cd2432F which was bricked due to auto software update by hickvision app. I followed your guide very carefully and completed flashing 5.4.5 stock firmware but after powere cycling the camera, its not visible in SADP and neither the GUI is accessible. I tried this method few times with older firmwares but same results. Any tip at this point?
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I followed your guide very carefully and completed flashing 5.4.5 stock firmware but after powere cycling the camera, its not visible in SADP and neither the GUI is accessible.
The key to success is having the correct contents in mtdblock6
If you'd like to zip up mtd6ro_orig and mtd6ro_mod and also include the fixup_log.txt and attach here I'll check them out for you.

its not visible in SADP and neither the GUI is accessible.
Also - see if SADP shows anything 10mins or more after power on. If the main app davinci isn't running due to a fatal problem, the watchdog timer should initiate a reboot into 'min-system' recovery mode.

nitinbali

n3wb
Reaction score
The key to success is having the correct contents in mtdblock6
If you'd like to zip up mtd6ro_orig and mtd6ro_mod and also include the fixup_log.txt and attach here I'll check them out for you.

Also - see if SADP shows anything 10mins or more after power on. If the main app davinci isn't running due to a fatal problem, the watchdog timer should initiate a reboot into 'min-system' recovery mode.
I feel so stupid for spending hours to fix this issue which was a no issue to begin with. I didn't realize the power adapter I used was only outputting 9v instead of 12v. Even though the camera firmware flash worked fine with 9v, it wouldn't boot with full apps. The moment I changed the adapter to 12v, sadp was able to find it. Another person had similar issue in different thread where sadp wouldn't find camera, I bet his camera is not getting enough juice too.

Thanks alastairstevenson for this amazing guide and helping us novices out. I am going to try and update my 2032 cameras too but they are Mounted high, any way to update without dismount ing them?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The moment I changed the adapter to 12v, sadp was able to find it.
Dohh! But well done for figuring that out. And for sharing, as you say, may help others.

I am going to try and update my 2032 cameras too but they are Mounted high, any way to update without dismount ing them?
You don't need physical access to convert/update with the brickfixv2 tool. You can do it over the network, assuming you can do the one-off power cycle at the start.
Just be sure that -
They are wired, not WiFi.
Be quick with the brickfixv2 initial install while the Hikvision tftp updater is running, so you don't catch any other Hikvision device that happens to reboot and find it.

Good luck!

nitinbali

n3wb
Reaction score
Dohh! But well done for figuring that out. And for sharing, as you say, may help others.

You don't need physical access to convert/update with the brickfixv2 tool. You can do it over the network, assuming you can do the one-off power cycle at the start.
Just be sure that -
They are wired, not WiFi.
Be quick with the brickfixv2 initial install while the Hikvision tftp updater is running, so you don't catch any other Hikvision device that happens to reboot and find it.

Good luck!
Thank you Thank you Thank you! You are a genius! I got the two 2032's updated to 5.4.5 with no issues. Now the only two cameras left with older firmwares are

2CD3942F-I v5.2.1
2CD2135F-IS v 5.3.3

Any guide to update these two?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any guide to update these two?
Are these China region cameras? Or were they sold as upgradeable?
I have a 2335 and a 3335 - both had 'hacked to English' firmware that blocked updates and I had to use the serial console to get past that, and then install some tweaked-to-English firmware. A bit of a techy, learning, process.
I got the two 2032's updated to 5.4.5 with no issues.
And well done on this!

dvoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Updated two DS-2CD2032F-IW with no issues. Same devType model than DS-2CD2032F-I (2698).
Many thanks for so excelent work!!!

Reaction score
Perfect! Upgraded three DS-2CD2032F-I and one DS-2CD2032-I using the brickfixv2EN.dav and brickfixv2CN.dav respectively. THANK YOU. << That last part is in all-caps because it is important.

wesk18

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 2cd2532f-is Ch version with 5.30 English, I successfully was able to downgrade to 5.25 ch only it wouldn't install en, can this camera be upgraded back to 5.30 en and above with English enabled?