R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a dome cam ds-2cd2132f-is , I have to get the mod file on my other pc, but I'm wondering what I can do with this cam now, since I'm now locked out of it.

I get a language mismatch now when I try to use the gui and if i attempt to TFTP into it I get the connection refused message which seems common on anyone who upgraded to 5.45 which this camera is now on 5.45. Wondering if there is access the camera again and repair what I did wrong.
As of now my 2 entry points are locked.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tested the Hikvision tftp updater with this camera?
It should still connect to it.
This scenario is exactly what the brickfixv2 method is aimed to deal with.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry again, didn't know the TFTP updater could also fix this, thought it was only good for being used with putty.

Cam is up and running sorry for so many questions!

wifi75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hello I've camera DS-2CD2232-I5 with firmware V5.2.5 build 141201 not bricked.

how it is possible upgrade to new version?

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
follow the guide on p1, you will brick your cam at the beginning but you will be able to resolve it, Took my some time but I eventually got it I have 15 more to do but I a do these in under 10 min each now thanks to all the people who invested their hard work into this.

guho

n3wb
Reaction score
hello I've camera DS-2CD2232-I5 with firmware V5.2.5 build 141201 not bricked.

how it is possible upgrade to new version?
I have a Chinese DS-2CD2732 which was on V5.1. All it needed was the mtd6block language value change to 1. All other values were already good. Upgrades needed to be applied step by step 5.2,5.3,5.4.41 latest. Now all humming along. No need to brick it first!!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Upgrades needed to be applied step by step 5.2,5.3,5.4.41 latest. Now all humming along. No need to brick it first!!
A good result, well done!
Yes, you don't need to start with a 'bricked' camera, for a working one the 'enhanced MTD hack' is all that's needed.
But the brickfixV2 script method does give a helping hand by hiding away those somewhat techy low-level steps.

All it needed was the mtd6block language value change to 1
And presumably a change to the checksum?

Reaction score
Upgraded a set of 4 DS-2CD2332-I cameras from shipped firmware to V5.4.0 build 160530.
Had just installed XProtect VMS 2019 R1 as the licence was expiring on the previous version and needed to upgrade the camera firmware.
Was thinking I would need to replace the cameras till I discovered this tread.
Thank you so much for your generosity.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for giving that a go.
Be aware though that the 5.4.0 firmware still had the backdoor major vulnerability. It's version 5.4.41 that fixes it.

Reaction score
Thanks Alastair
Tried and failed to upgrade from V5.4.0 to V5.4.41
GUI would not let me enter the path manually or browse to the .dav file. Using Chrome on window 10.
Tried using your tools to load V5.4.41 and that failed too.
Went back to V5.4.0 to get camera running again.
Not sure what else to try. Still happy to have cameras working though.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrome, apart from not supporting the webcomponents plugin for the video stream, will also inhibit some of the functions such as the upgrade dialogues.
You'd need to use IE11, or the Batch Configuration Tool.

Reaction score
Argh! The vagaries of computers. Hours struggling in the morning then the job done in minutes in the evening. Internet Explorer worked a charm and I am now in the process of upgrading all 4 cameras to V5.4.41. In fact I couldn’t stop there and ended up upgrading them all to V5.4.5.
Once more thank you for your expertise

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to be able to help.

But I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you.
This confused me at first too, but the newest firmware is the 5.4.41, not the 5.4.5 version.
Check the build dates.

Reaction score
Thanks Alastair.
I did notice the discrepancy between the build dates and the version numbers. Tried to research which is the ‘latest’ and found debate without any definitive answer. Decided to go to V5.4.5 as I could find release notes for it and the US HiKvision portal list it as the latest.
For better or worse everything is running fine currently.
Might be worth editing your original instructions to include advice on which browser to use when accessing the GUI. That was really useful advice I had not seen elsewhere.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried to research which is the ‘latest’ and found debate without any definitive answer.
I was confused on that topic for quite a while also.
I was suggesting to people that 5.4.5 was the latest, until a forum member queried that, and the build numbers.
Part of what was confusing was that all the 'changed dates' on the Hikvision download site were the same, plus the 5.4.5 version was listed last on the EU site - and still is.

Chunk72

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks solely Alastair's encouragement and invaluable help after a failed update I now have 3 camera's in English and running later firmware, completed my last one this morning.

I truly hope the forum appreciate what an asset he is to the community.