Rack gear placement location in house. All these cables...

slip kid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This house is a 1960s basement rancher (which means very little closet space even for clothes). Basement is mostly unfinished yet but with a small den and bedroom as well as laundry and wide open spaces. Back on the main floor there are 3 bedrooms with one being used as an office.

All of these CAT6 cables I'm getting ready to run from cameras terminating into rack gear, where is the recommended location for them all to terminate in such a setup?

The options seem to be (1) main floor office/bedroom, (2) master bedroom closet which won't breath well or (3) in the basement somewhere, probably suspended from the ceiling or eye level on a wall. The basement has full 8' ceilings.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This house is a 1960s basement rancher (which means very little closet space even for clothes). Basement is mostly unfinished yet but with a small den and bedroom as well as laundry and wide open spaces. Back on the main floor there are 3 bedrooms with one being used as an office.

All of these CAT6 cables I'm getting ready to run from cameras terminating into rack gear, where is the recommended location for them all to terminate in such a setup?

The options seem to be (1) main floor office/bedroom, (2) master bedroom closet which won't breath well or (3) in the basement somewhere, probably suspended from the ceiling or eye level on a wall. The basement has full 8' ceilings.
Hi @slip kid

I recommend not putting those in a bedroom as often some equipment can be rather noisy and thus disturbing good slumber.

Last edited:

Tyler C

n3wb
Reaction score
This is my normal setup when I'm installing for clients. I would look for a place you can mount a piece of 1 inch plywood. It allows for full custom placement of gear and will give you room to expand in the future. Also be sure your desired location is away from moisture and has power near by!

Attachments

slip kid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's a little elevated humidity in the basement and we run a small dehumidifier. Suspending the rack gear higher toward the ceiling should help and I'm adding a branch from the air handler, but two times a year the HVAC doesn't run much. My PA gear is down there and seems to hold up ok.