Rain, snow, bugs - motion sensing issues with 2032 style bullet cams - suggestions?

Reaction score
Hikvision / LTS system with LTS 8816-P16 NVR and CMIP8232 (Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 3MP)cameras

I've searched the forum and the thread that held the most promise is gone or corrupted. Not much I could find on setting up these cameras with an NVR to avoid all of the false alarms.

What are the best methods to avoid false motion detection alarms during snow, sleet, rain and bugs? I've reset the camera motion watch areas into narrow horizontal bands and dropped the sensitivity to minimal to detect motion but decrease the false alarms. This has helped but not during tonight's snow/sleet event. Bug season will start in a few days and that will likely be hell to deal with.

I'm in the process of adding PIR detectors to trigger the cameras as a back up with the minimal motion sensitivity. Any suggested posts or articles would be most appreciated.

Can someone also point me to the best set up for night vision on these cameras? I've made some changes and improved the picture but it is still less that what I was expecting compared to other videos that I've seen.

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: Rain, snow, bugs - motion sensing issues with 2032 style bullet cams - suggestion

There is no much things to say here as intelligent video detection is out of range here regarding our cheap cams.
So what is provided is not real analytics with dedicated filters for :fog, snow, cloud shadows, Rain reflection, pole vribrations, etc...
This is what it is and most of time more helpers; So this is what we call simply:" ACTIVITY DETECTION", but not specially related to human detection.

So all moving things behind the lens can be assimilated to detection.
OK, some settings can fine tune a little the functions, but no miracles at all here .

Each vision field request proper settings where it's necessary to advance step by step to fine tune the best as possible.

But some interesting rules :
1°) For spiders / never use IR Embedded in the cam, always an external projector to avoid these flying insects and spiders, etc...
2°) Field of vision is very important to avoid potential third party noise (trees, shadows during day due to Sun, etc.
3°) For intrusion detection outside : better to use a real PIR detector connected to the cam (some models have IN/OUT pins for that.
4°) To optimize your settings, you must to be 2 people using your phone, one in the field and the other one with the settings.

Just FYI, VA ( real video analytics improved on field) cost around $1500 per analytics channel and works really 99% with a very limited number of FA (false alarms).
But this is for industry only and big company.

I made this during many years and cry me this is a complex hands-on, even with the right devices and dedicated software.
Just FIY, I made the Eiffel Tower protection with more than 200 cams dedicated only for video analytics and we spend more than 1 year to devellop specific algorithms to manage the flashing lights during night and fine-tune the system.
But at end: works correctly...

Here for $80, we have some different detection variants, Embedded in the camera. So this is great, but doesn't anwsers for specific uses.
This is more generic features, that's it.
You will always get false alarms, the more difficult is to have the right balance between "missed détections", and "False Alarms".
The better is to get a little more false alarms, but you will be sure to always have the "real action" in the box, between the "false ones".

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Rain, snow, bugs - motion sensing issues with 2032 style bullet cams - suggestion

As riri points out pixel detection is not perfect...if you implement line cross detection it might help..thats why i prefer using something like blue iris where i can set one level of detection for record (low threshold) and another level of detection for alerts(high threshold)...

As far as night vision, make sure WDR is off or under 10, and increase the noise reduction (you will have to log directly into the camera to change these settings)..also lower the gain a bit and see if it helps...if the area is pitch black and there aren't enough surfaces for the ir to reflect off of you are going to have add ir light or some ambient light..

bubba123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Using a turret cam with offset IR mounted under eves helped me on the bug/rain/snow issue. Moving from motion detection to line detection helped as well. The last piece to get rid of false positives was to create my own software to manage my events (and suppress alerts based on my regular schedule and based on sunrise/sunset).