Rainbow Corruption

PancakeBimmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Getting some rainbow corruption on recordings myself. Seems to be very random and happening only on hikvision 2132 and not on 2135.
HD4600 driver is latest from intel 20.19.15.4501, released in august 2016. Chipset drivers are from intel as well. HA enabled.

This seems to happen with Blue Iris only because xprotect recordings on the same machine look fine. I did consider that xprotect might be interfering so I uninstalled it and tested for couple hours. Same result, rainbow corruption.

Edit: 2132 are set to h264 and same is for 2135 cameras

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Getting some rainbow corruption on recordings myself. Seems to be very random and happening only on hikvision 2132 and not on 2135.
HD4600 driver is latest from intel 20.19.15.4501, released in august 2016. Chipset drivers are from intel as well. HA enabled.

This seems to happen with Blue Iris only because xprotect recordings on the same machine look fine. I did consider that xprotect might be interfering so I uninstalled it and tested for couple hours. Same result, rainbow corruption.

Edit: 2132 are set to h264 and same is for 2135 cameras
email support

PancakeBimmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Recently changed power setting on the system running blue iris from balanced to performance and have not seen a rainbow effect for three days already.
Maybe someone with rainbow effect can check their windows power settings and report back.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had 3 random rainbow corruption moments on my 3 day old setup. The problem didn't happen at all during the first 2 days while I was running h265. I switched to h264 (called "H264h" on my 3 Dahua cams) to take advantage of power saving hardware acceleration. That did what it was supposed to and reduced my avg cpu usage from 30% to 8%, but now I've got rainbow problems.

I tried setting my record buffer to 10mb (from default of 6mb), and no overlays are used. I just changed my Windows power settings for max performance, and made sure the HDD doesn't sleep etc. I guess the whole process of learning about IP cams, adding wires to my home, installing and configuring cams, scripts, switches, etc... helped me forget to setup power options on the dedicated 24/7 server. Hopefully that helps; if you don't hear from me here again then you'll know it worked.

Kev

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
- Do they ever get direct sunlight into the lens, possible causing some type of lens/video corruption?
- Do they receive direct sunlight possibly causing overheating? A few of my cameras get warm depending on the season and time of day.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For one, the direct to disc recordings are fine indicating the cameras are fine. It's clearly BI having issues with hardware acc, which is used for display/streaming AFAIK. Also all my cams are mounted such that they are not directly exposed to the sun, the weather here lately has been gorgeous (70-80F), and I get corruption in the middle of the night as well as day.

This morning I had time to look at drivers and mine was older. I updated to the latest from Intel, and we'll see how she rolls today.

Kev

Last edited:

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The latest intel drivers did not help. I had a camera get corruption overnight again. Any other ideas?

edit: I switched back to h265 and now everything is running reliably, but with 25% cpu usage. On the upside with smaller file sizes evidence retention is increased 6x. Although, with 3 cams and a 4tb drive I wish Blue Iris HA was not broken. :(

Last edited:

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update:
I wiped/reinstalled everything fresh on my bi machine after I swapped in a new 3tb purple drive. Then I decided to give ha another shot... now it has set a record of 24hrs without a hiccup. Looks promising compared to the previous 10hr record between corruption incidents... will report back if this fails. It is nice to have the option of keeping my server closet 3deg cooler with 15day archives, or having warming the closet up and having 30day archives, lol.

Fwiw, nothing is different other than before the machine had the 260gb wd blue drive it came with. For security I also wiped the used drive before setting up bi. Same updated intel drivers too.

Kev

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to have months at a time with no problem, then it happens over a dozen times in a week. Still no idea what causes it besides Hikvision + hardware acceleration in BI.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Say it ain't so! I have to temper my excitement. If it happens once more I'm switching back to h265... and crossing my fingers that the darn pc will have the balls to handle more cams as I add them. Last thing I need is to see rainbows after I find my truck was broken in to!

Kev

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well the rainbows for me don't affect recordings (they will play fine), and appears to just be the video decoder getting into a bad state.

However the rainbows DO affect the motion detector, so you might not have recordings of anything important that happened if you weren't recording continuously.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Well the rainbows for me don't affect recordings (they will play fine), and appears to just be the video decoder getting into a bad state.

However the rainbows DO affect the motion detector, so you might not have recordings of anything important that happened if you weren't recording continuously.
Yep, same with me

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
True, I didn't think about the fact that the recordings will be ok. It was all the false triggers that were annoying. I hope it never fails again for that reason alone.

Kev

[Update: yeah... frigging rainbows, again. I'm about done with ha lol.]

Last edited:

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I sometimes find it too hard to give up...

New mobo bios went in, along with slightly older drivers from the hp website. I had the latest drivers direct from intel, and an ancient bios. Maybe the older hp ones will work on my hp rig together with the bios? If not, I'll try again with the new drivers on the new bios.

Wish me luck finding the end of this rabbit hole lol,
Kev

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The latest intel drivers did not help. I had a camera get corruption overnight again. Any other ideas?

edit: I switched back to h265 and now everything is running reliably, but with 25% cpu usage. On the upside with smaller file sizes evidence retention is increased 6x. Although, with 3 cams and a 4tb drive I wish Blue Iris HA was not broken. :(
On my Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret IPC-HDW5231R-Z I had to make a few adjustments to eliminate the periodic rainbow corruption:
1) Set fps and iframe interval to the the same number in the camera settings (iframe interval was preset to 2X the fps as you probably know).
2) Ensure h264h was set in the camera settings
3) In BI, use Direct to Disk and in camera properties>Video set H.264 HW decode: Yes+VPP and uncheck "Also BVR."

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
beepsilver, thanks for the feedback. Ironically my starlight variofocal turret is my only camera that has not actually done it (yet). I think that may just be a coincidence, however I have also observed that the webui on the turret is much faster responding than the other 2 starlights (a mini ir dome, and a z5 variofocal ir bullet).

I think my settings match what you describe except that I have "Also BVR" checked. To help with troubleshooting I want to keep it running with my current config to see if/when it 'rainbows out'. If it does (I am betting it will) my next step will be testing with Also BVR unchecked. Then if that fails, I'll try again setting the per camera configs to "Yes+VPP" (though 'default' combined with my main settings should do the same). When troubleshooting HA though, using the main settings page makes switching HA on/off much easier (though a reboot is necessary either way).

Regarding that checkbox, does that just turn HA on/off during playback/webstreaming? Just thinking that since recorded video is fine but just playback & motion are affected by the corruption, that the checkbox could very well be an issue. Although IIRC I also had problems with that box unchecked before.

On a side note, with the newer bios and older but newest HP intel drivers, my cpu usage seems to have gone down a few points (to 4% avg) compared to when I was using the latest official intel drivers with the older bios (was 6% avg). Again, without HA (both h264h and h265) it was more like 27% avg.

Kev

Attachments

Last edited:

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@truglo Thanks for the details, I'm sure you'll be helping others on this topic. It'll be a good test to uncheck the bvr option if the rainbow-ing returns. Once I unchecked it a couple of months ago, I haven't had any more problems. Like you, my recordings weren't affected; although I can't find any info in the help section regarding "also bvr," I suspect you're right that it turns on/off HA for playback/streaming.

FYI (you may already know this) I see in your BI options screenshot that you have your live preview rate set to 15...with such low CPU usage on your system you can enjoy that rate or even higher, but you could save a few more percentage points if you reduce it further.

Looking forward to an update on your testing in the coming days/weeks.

Last edited: