ram sizing

gto-guy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to setup a system BI system that has 12-15 HDW5231R-ZE cameras on it. Is 8gb going to be fine or do I need to set up to 16?

ya I know it is more expensive but I am going to build an XPC (SZ270R8) for it. it is a small form factor that can hold a 4x 3.5 drives plus 2 M.2 drives. I will have an i7-7700, ssd for boot and db, then 3x 6TB WD purples for video in raid 5.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to setup a system BI system that has 12-15 HDW5231R-ZE cameras on it. Is 8gb going to be fine or do I need to set up to 16?

ya I know it is more expensive but I am going to build an XPC (SZ270R8) for it. it is a small form factor that can hold a 4x 3.5 drives plus 2 M.2 drives. I will have an i7-7700, ssd for boot and db, then 3x 6TB WD purples for video in raid 5.
Read the Wiki at the top of the page.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Raid 5 isn't a great idea anymore. With the size of modern drives and the associated failure rates, there is a high chance of finding a bad sector during RAID 5 rebuild after a drive has failed. Depending on the RAID controller and reasons I don't really understand, this can result in complete rebuild failure.

gto-guy

n3wb
Reaction score
Read the Wiki at the top of the page.
thanks, I did that already. all it says is "4 GB of memory is sufficient for a smaller system (perhaps 6 cameras?) but 8 GB is recommended for most systems. The largest systems (20+ cameras) may benefit from 16 GB."

so it the breakpoint at 20 camera or below 20? also does that count memory overhead for antivirus, etc?

gto-guy

n3wb
Reaction score
Raid 5 isn't a great idea anymore. With the size of modern drives and the associated failure rates, there is a high chance of finding a bad sector during RAID 5 rebuild after a drive has failed. Depending on the RAID controller and reasons I don't really understand, this can result in complete rebuild failure.
ya I have seen that in cheap controllers. my day job is all data center stuff....
I got an LSI logic 9266-4i card and they are suppose to be able to compensate for that. I know the cisco servers can. I was going to play around with it. I might do 10 instead of 5, we will see. the intel raid or software raid will not and usually will fail when that happens

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks, I did that already. all it says is "4 GB of memory is sufficient for a smaller system (perhaps 6 cameras?) but 8 GB is recommended for most systems. The largest systems (20+ cameras) may benefit from 16 GB."

so it the breakpoint at 20 camera or below 20? also does that count memory overhead for antivirus, etc?
It is only a loose guideline. Actual memory consumption by Blue Iris and other processes depends on a ton of things. I have 23 cameras going right now and Blue Iris consumes about 5.5 GB. But Windows is a pig so overall system memory usage is 7.9 GB. I could easily cut Blue Iris's memory usage in half, or double it, just by changing frame rates.

Memory usage is one of the things this page is pretty good at reporting accurately: Blue Iris Update Helper