Blue iris and CPU consumption as it relates to memory usage

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by fenderman, Oct 22, 2015.

Share This Page

1. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

For most basic setups blue iris does not require more than 4gb of memory. Additional memory may be useful when using many high resolution HD cameras. I recently had an issue with extremely high cpu consumption on the system outlined below.
    i7-4770, 4gb, memory SSD, HDD. BI4
    8x3mp cameras recording at 15fps. 30pre trigger frames.
    Blue iris was indicating 2.4gb memory use.
    The system would fluctuate between 80-100%percent cpu. That is abnormal for that load and processor. I tried the usual remedies but did not see any improvement.
    I purchased an extra 4gb memory stick and viola, the system is at about 30%...

Ion Barker, Q™, Mike and 1 other person like this.
  2. drcarric2650

drcarric2650 n3wb

Thanks fenderman,

I'm just setting up my system, and its nice to have a base line, I have i7-4770, 16gb, ssd, 4tb HD, using a eval copy of BI4.

I have 3x4mp, and 1x3mp Hikvision cameras at this time, using direct to disk and I'm hitting about 35% CPU, I have 2 more 4mp and on 3mp camera to add, and eventually another 4 mp camera, it will be interesting to see what my % cpu ends up as.

So far I've been unable to get the LAN or internet access working, so I'm not sure how much CPU that will take up.

I'm still working out a lot of bugs at this point, to determine if BI is the way to go.

Don

3. wcrowder

wcrowder Getting the hang of it

I ran the eval copy for a couple hours before I bought a license. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the drop in CPU usage with the registered vs eval versions.

4. drcarric2650

drcarric2650 n3wb

Wow, good information wcrowder, it is surprising the eval version would be slower, seems like it would discourage purchasing. I was estimating that I was going to max out the CPU with 8 camera's, and that was writing to disk.

Don

5. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

I believe direct to disc is somewhat disabled in the demo..in v3, it was totally disabled..in 4 is seems to work (no overlay in video) but there is a performance issue...I wrote to the developer but he couldn't explain the discrepancy...

6. wcrowder

I believe it has to trans-code the video to add the watermark, multiple cameras = massive CPU use. After you register it goes away and your CPU gets happy. Just guessing. :)

7. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

If you record direct to disc, even on the demo, the watermark is not present...

8. wcrowder

I stand corrected. :)