RasPipC - Cameras on your TV made Easy.

SvenVD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is my first at playing with the Pi. If you can point me to where they are I will paste them when I get home.
You can just copy paste following line in the shell

cd /usr/local/bin/rpisurv/logs/; ls -l >> /tmp/debuglogs; cat /usr/local/bin/rpisurv/logs/* >> /tmp/debuglogs

And then get the /tmp/debuglogs file of the rpi and send to me.

THanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats basically how Im implementing, raspIPC.. watcher looks for a config json with coordinates and unique camera uuids and applies it when changed, and the UI just lays it down and caches changes in a lil database until applied (just writes the json file)

the trick is using the dbus interface omxplayer offers, you can change coordinates on the fly without starting and stopping the proccess.. thats what i am messing with now, loading up all the camera streams off screen, then read config and put them in place.. any unused streams stay off screen until a feed goes down, then everything moves up in priority until it comes back.

just getting it all working stable without blowing it all up, now thats a trick.. I keep throwing my monitor into some error mode right now when I add a few more feeds, and its pissing me off.. tells me my resolution is invalid.

SvenVD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh ok nice! I also started with the dbus, but I got a lot of errors so it wasn't worth the effort for me to invest more time to solve it.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can just copy paste following line in the shell

cd /usr/local/bin/rpisurv/logs/; ls -l >> /tmp/debuglogs; cat /usr/local/bin/rpisurv/logs/* >> /tmp/debuglogs

And then get the /tmp/debuglogs file of the rpi and send to me.

THanks!
I think I pasted the line correctly but it does not show any debug logs, in fact the main log is from 3/28 not today.

tmp.JPG

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@cball, through trial and error I found how to get the sub stream to show instead of the main stream. Four cams up and not tearing at all, rock steady but still have the command line running in the background. I found that I did not need /media/video1 in the rtsp string to play. Just the url and port, and by adding /substream to it they all came up.

works.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

Opps, spoke too soon, after 10 min a slight tear.

I definitely spoke too soon, while there is very minimal tearing the timing is way off. Only one camera is real time, the others are between 30-60 seconds off.

Last edited by a moderator:

SvenVD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

chrisvdv

n3wb
Reaction score
@bob2701
maybe a stupid remark of me. have you already tried different rtsp portnumbers for each cam? and openend them in your router? or is it necessary to always use port 554

cball

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is not nessesary, because it is inside the LAN and doesn't pass the router.
You only change ports when you want to go across a router whin only has one public IP-adress

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
You said you plan to release via image firmware so it will only work with Raspberry 2? What about 3? Will 3 use same firmware image?

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
How the progress on this so far? It the beta released yet?

Bill

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got a Raspberry Pi 3. I'm amazed what you can get for $35. I'm looking forward to see what I can do with it.

Bradley

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no beta yet, that last few percent of work turned into a ton as I have to write my way around dbus issues.. my prototyping with a few feeds worked fine, but its all falling apart with more.

been more focused on getting my LPR project online, and with good reason.. literally the day after my camera came in the mail my neighbor up the street whom my LPR camera is pointing right at had their cars vandalized overnight.. unfortunately I did not have night time mode setup yet so I got pretty much nothing even though I had a camera pointed right at it.

we had a nice jaunt of nice weather so I could leave a non-ip66 rated camera outside overnight for nearly a week straight but I am pushing my luck and need to get the install done before it turns on me.. this time of year its a roll of the dice.. I just made my first birdhouse since I was in boy scouts hah, I should have the install completed tomorrow, just need to set the mast to mount it to and i'll be ready to get back into raspIPC.. actually I cant avoid it anymore as I have more cameras than my display currently is showing, and I have enough feeds to do some thorough testing.

its been a mess, 3 new cameras and a new nvr, plus wiring up my mudroom and this project.. but its all coming together now, just forgive me for taking on so much at once.. it'll be worth the wait, I promise. I'll have this released before I start thinking about camera #8, ah shit too late :p

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you think Raspberry Pi3 can handle this and plus Domoticz home automation? Or I should get another Pi3 just for this?

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it should handle both just fine, my Pi2 is largely idle and running domoticz just fine, still idle.. though its just a slave and not my primary one with all the scripts/logic.

it could also double as a vpn server quite well..

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
nayr, I am still having problems. I am trying to run the install.sh that is on your older RPISURV program/script.

I would like to donate some hardware if you tell me how to do it on Amazon , just bought a raspberry pi 3 and its setup but I dont know shit about linux

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
been more focused on getting my LPR project online...
I'm late to the party, haven't been on the forum for a while since I am in a holding pattern before wiring up my cameras. First, thanks a ton for sharing raspIPC, I'm all over it!

Second, what are your LPR plans? I'd also like to throw in a vote for Huisun support as they seem to be popular around here for plate captures.

Apologies if I missed earlier answers, I have only had time to skim the thread.