RCA to POE

Reaction score
I want to install a POE (power-over-ethernet) camera at the end of my driveway. Currently there is only a RCA cable and an electrical outlet. Can I use a RCA to POE converter? If so, can the RCA cable carry power in addition to the video and audio?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no. does not exist. PoE == Power over Ethernet... Ethernet is required.

Reaction score
Thanks tangent. Just a quick point. Amazon sells an RCA to ETHERNET converter. I was hoping to put a ETHERNET-RCA converter on both ends of the RCA cable and plug the ethernet end of the ETHERNET-RCA converter into my DVR

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks tangent. Just a quick point. Amazon sells an RCA to ETHERNET converter. I was hoping to put a ETHERNET-RCA converter on both ends of the RCA cable and plug the ethernet end of the ETHERNET-RCA converter into my DVR
Yes there are products like this, but they don't do what you imagine. The allow you to use an Ethernet cable in place of an RCA cable or two. It won't work for data over an RCA cable.

RCA is a connector style, it generally isn't used for security. For analog security cams, a BNC connector is typically used. RCA and BNC both use coaxial cables, but there are many types / different quality coax cables. Depending on the cables you have it may be possible to send an higher quality 1080p video signal over the cable (the only thing I'd consider would be an HDCVI starlight cam) or it might not. Ultimately the best option is just to install the right kind of cable.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
forgot about those. describing the cables as rca cables doesn't inspire confidence in the cable quality. These are a pretty expensive solution
I do recall seeing a device that can do this over any two wire run....

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If there is a power outlet there as stated, why not powerline?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A photo's worth a thousand words. Lets see this "RCA" cable and the power at the end of the driveway.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
NoloC has the simplest idea- powerline ethernet adapter at the power outlet, assuming the power comes from the house.