Reading number plates (not ANPR)

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a need for a couple of fixed (non PTZ) Hikvision PoE cameras for outside my gate. the hope is that when slowed down/paused, I can read the number plates. I had an old Annke 1080p coax system before, and that wasn't good enough to read plates. I am hoping to choose the right cameras for my new Hikvision Acusense NVR so I can read plates if needed. Cars go by at 20-40 mph, so it's not easy but I suspect any 5mp camera should do it. But the reason I posted the thread is because I am not sure of the technical details, and whether it's less to do with the resolution and more to do with framerate? If anyone knows of a Hikvision fixed turret PoE cam which can record at 60 fps, please drop me a model number. I will continue hunting in mean time :)
Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @larryhagman

For best results you want to get a good angle from the camera to the plate, and enough pixels on target.

Do you have any test shots from possible camera placement positions?

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. No I don't as old system ripped down and not bought new one yet. Vehicles are passing around 20 feet from camera, with a good 45 degree angle laterally and maybe 20 degrees vertically to the road. But I think it's about more than just pixels as even my Annke "4k" (so they say) cameras struggle to get a clear license plate number when paused, its blurred. Hence i wondered if that was more to do with fps. they are probably 25 fps max

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. No I don't as old system ripped down and not bought new one yet. Vehicles are passing around 20 feet from camera, with a good 45 degree angle laterally and maybe 20 degrees vertically to the road. But I think it's about more than just pixels as even my Annke "4k" (so they say) cameras struggle to get a clear license plate number when paused, its blurred. Hence i wondered if that was more to do with fps. they are probably 25 fps max
Try adjusting the shutter speed.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wouldn't half ass this if your trying to read plates. I would just buy Hikvision's DeepInView LPR and call it a day. The camera automatically reads and logs plates so you dont have to manually do it. Mine works amazingly well.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a need for a couple of fixed (non PTZ) Hikvision PoE cameras for outside my gate. the hope is that when slowed down/paused, I can read the number plates. I had an old Annke 1080p coax system before, and that wasn't good enough to read plates. I am hoping to choose the right cameras for my new Hikvision Acusense NVR so I can read plates if needed. Cars go by at 20-40 mph, so it's not easy but I suspect any 5mp camera should do it. But the reason I posted the thread is because I am not sure of the technical details, and whether it's less to do with the resolution and more to do with framerate? If anyone knows of a Hikvision fixed turret PoE cam which can record at 60 fps, please drop me a model number. I will continue hunting in mean time :)
Thanks
See here: LPR | IP Cam Talk

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Our LPR camera is a 2MP set to 15fps. It aggregates multiple frames in the detection area to accurately register the plate.
Many of our entry level cameras are able to display the plates of passing cars so I'm wondering if the issue is not codec/frame rate related.
What are your Annke "4k" settings?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
More MP isnt going to probably be a game changer and 45 degree angle of attack isnt what I would consider "good". Thats the number 1 issue in my experience. You want under 30 degrees.