ready to buy

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sebastian's law of Cameras - They multiply like rabbits and are more addictive than drugs.

If I had a garage, I'd have a camera on each side of the garage to provide overlapping coverage. All of my cameras are "watched" by another camera, or two.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know there has been some memory discussions, but would 16gb memory benefit a smaller system over 8gb?

Smaller being 10 cameras?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say 8GB would be fine for 10 cameras, I have 13 cameras, currently, and BI uses around 4GB. Dual channel RAM, and a MB with dual channel RAM capability will help.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd say 8GB would be fine for 10 cameras, I have 13 cameras, currently, and BI uses around 4GB. Dual channel RAM, and a MB with dual channel RAM capability will help.
ok cool, thanks for that, guess I can save me some 24$ getting the machine with 8GB then vs over sizing with 16GB

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
On the other end of that spectrum, if one is good, two is better and 100 sounds about right.

You can always swap out memory and upgrade in the future, too, should it become necessary.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
true.

OK last question. HDD. I know we can go 4, 6, 8, 10, 12TB etc.

In this case, what is common practice? A single large drive or multiple drives spanned together for an even larger disk pool? Looking at 2 machines, one has 1 3.5 drive space and the other has 2, trying to decide if I will ever really have 2 3.5" drives or will it always be one and when it is not big enough I get a larger one.

Surely it is preference, but figure there is a norm for this sort of thing

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say get the one with two drive bays. Somehow, you always end up needing more drive space. Spanning drives actually reduces the overall capacity due to the overhead needed to hold the spanning information or RAID information. Using multiple drives as discrete drives, and saving equal numbers of cameras to each drive, is probably the best way to do it. When formatting, set the cluster size to 1024K rather than the standard 4K. Video files are very large and that will reduce writes to the drives. @SouthernYankee has an excellent guide to hard drive configuration and it's well worth looking for.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd say get the one with two drive bays. Somehow, you always end up needing more drive space. Spanning drives actually reduces the overall capacity due to the overhead needed to hold the spanning information or RAID information. Using multiple drives as discrete drives, and saving equal numbers of cameras to each drive, is probably the best way to do it. When formatting, set the cluster size to 1024K rather than the standard 4K. Video files are very large and that will reduce writes to the drives. @SouthernYankee has an excellent guide to hard drive configuration and it's well worth looking for.
excellent. I was not aware that you can target drives per camera. That's great info and makes more sense for getting the one with 2 drive bays.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To use the two drives simply format them and duplicate the directory structure that BI uses, BlieIris>New, Stored, Alerts, AUX1 and so on. In the camera record tab just point them to the appropriate drive letter and directory.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments