Real Motion Detection

dotnetrob

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a number of IP Cameras and utilize Blue Iris for recording on "motion detection". But with recent changes to BI, software based motion detection is becoming a hassle.

Does anyone has recommendations for Network cameras with real motion detection built in or cameras that can be equipped with external motion detectors? Preferably ones that work with Blue Iris.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have a number of IP Cameras and utilize Blue Iris for recording on "motion detection". But with recent changes to BI, software based motion detection is becoming a hassle.

Does anyone has recommendations for Network cameras with real motion detection built in or cameras that can be equipped with external motion detectors? Preferably ones that work with Blue Iris.

Thanks
You can revert back to an older version until the new motion detection algorithms are worked out.
There are very few outdoor cameras that have built in PIR detectors. The ones that do are very expensive (mobotix). You can hook a pir sensor to many hikvision cameras with an alarm in. You can also buy a sealevel 120e which works with blue iris and will allow you to use PIR sensors to trigger motion.

dotnetrob

n3wb
Reaction score
You can revert back to an older version until the new motion detection algorithms are worked out.
I could rollback but no matter what I will need to update at some point and change settings, test, etc... I have no problem with tweaking the settings and working thru the issues, although I don't believe the current version of BI shouldn't be treated like a beta at current users expense. In my opinion there should a beta version and a stable version, it shouldn't be up the user to figure out which magic version works for them.

Thanks for the info on the cameras and sensors. My main issue with software based detection is the cameras/software picking up light/glare changes. Which I imagine many other struggle with. I am just looking to get away from software detection, because even before the update, 10%+ of the motion detection's are false, even after tweaking and tweaking.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I could rollback but no matter what I will need to update at some point and change settings, test, etc... I have no problem with tweaking the settings and working thru the issues, although I don't believe the current version of BI shouldn't be treated like a beta at current users expense. In my opinion there should a beta version and a stable version, it shouldn't be up the user to figure out which magic version works for them.

Thanks for the info on the cameras and sensors. My main issue with software based detection is the cameras/software picking up light/glare changes. Which I imagine many other struggle with. I am just looking to get away from software detection, because even before the update, 10%+ of the motion detection's are false, even after tweaking and tweaking.
Software based detection is very accurate if setup properly. In blue iris I use cloned cameras for alerts only. With proper settings and masking I only get alerts with true motion, yet the recording threshold is set lower with no masking so i never miss anything.
Ultimately PIR and magnetic sensors are most accurate.
As far as versions, if users simply disable auto updates and check the forum before moving to a new version they would all be fine. There is this strange rush to install new versions which I dont understand. Blue iris is developed and supported by a single person and is by far the best value at anything near this price point, so not having an official "stable" release is no big deal.

dotnetrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Software based detection is very accurate if setup properly. In blue iris I use cloned cameras for alerts only. With proper settings and masking I only get alerts with true motion, yet the recording threshold is set lower with no masking so i never miss anything.
Ultimately PIR and magnetic sensors are most accurate.
The problem is, at least with my setup, some of my camera's are old, low resolution, work poorly in low-light, and/or are cheap junk. That is why I am looking to replace them. Two of my cameras are nice, modern, seem to have less issues with the new detection algorithm. The older/cheaper ones seems to be having problems. That's why I am looking for new cameras, not new software. I was focusing on motion detection because my home alarm system use motion detectors and has never had a false alarm or failed to detect real motion.

I understand BI is run/developed by one person, and he does a great job. Have always gotten good support when I emailed him and greatly appropriate his efforts. I'm a software engineer myself and can't imagine having to run a large piece of software on my own, would drive me crazy.

But again, in my opinion, an end user shouldn't have to choose between getting updates that may contain bug fixes, security updates, and/or new features or nothing at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is, at least with my setup, some of my camera's are old, low resolution, work poorly in low-light, and/or are cheap junk. That is why I am looking to replace them. Two of my cameras are nice, modern, seem to have less issues with the new detection algorithm. The older/cheaper ones seems to be having problems. That's why I am looking for new cameras, not new software. I was focusing on motion detection because my home alarm system use motion detectors and has never had a false alarm or failed to detect real motion.

I understand BI is run/developed by one person, and he does a great job. Have always gotten good support when I emailed him and greatly appropriate his efforts. I'm a software engineer myself and can't imagine having to run a large piece of software on my own, would drive me crazy.

But again, in my opinion, an end user shouldn't have to choose between getting updates that may contain bug fixes, security updates, and/or new features or nothing at all.
If you want a 100 percent certain solution, go with the pir, though I would still use software based detection for recording. Pir sensors wont capture distant motion of say a car passing by that may be vital. I was able to purchase a sealevel 120e device for 50 dollars on ebay.

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi fenderman,

I have bought blue iris and have been playing around with motion detection, fine tuning it as the days and nights pass. However, I am also looking into the sealevel unit and pirs.

I have been searching on eBay for a sealevel unit but cannot find anything under any country!! Lol their website is kind of over priced?

Any input on best pir for a drive way, set back from a main road.

I was looking at gjd d tect 2 or 3? Or the takex PIR-T15we (w)?

Also, how has reliability been with the sealevel unit accurately interfacing with blue iris? Is it a solid solution?

Thanks

bren

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi newbe here ive got sealevel 120e with gjd 300 pir on BI 4.6.9.5 havein problems config with my ptz
got four presets set up and configed pir to preset one when trigerd not moveing to preset one
can anyone help pls pc spec hp z800 zeon 3.6cpu x2 64gb ram 1t ssd for C drive an E storage 2t hd