Reasonable cpu loading with two 8 mp cameras?

RubberDucky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting 70% cpu loading with only two 8MP cameras (hfw1831E) running at 20 fps (330mp/s).

Seems high but I'm trying the demo version. I've seen the comments on past demo versions about high loading, do we know how v5 demo behaves in this regard? I ask because direct to disc appears to be working given that turning it off pegs the loading to well over 100%.

Anyway, I'm using a dedicated PC (i5-8400 with 2x8gb ram writing to 1TB Sata drive with a 50" 4K monitor) and am not sure what would be a reasonable expectation for the licensed version.

Thanks.

RubberDucky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, thanks. Didn't think about the effect of the 4k monitor. Minimizing the GUI drops the loading down to 22% (from 70%). Wow.

Does the "limit live preview rate" refer to the limit on each camera stream? Help file doesn't say and I found no posts on the subject. I ask because any value less than about 35 fps starts making a difference on cpu loading even though none of my cameras run faster than 20 fps! Seems odd to me but maybe it makes sense to someone.

RubberDucky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So....the licensed version dropped the cpu loading by about 7% across the board (to about 63% with GUI open). Changing "scaling" to Fast (from Bilinear) reduced further down to about 43%.

Some investigating indicates base loading for streaming/decoding one camera is about 7% cpu and 9% gpu. Recording (direct-to-disc) is negligible. The second camera doubles those numbers. Activating the 4K GUI adds the remaining 30% cpu loading.

Yup, displaying 4K cameras on a 4K monitor takes a boatload of processing power.