Reccomend NVRs supporting ssh and/or automated backup from HDD to remote machine

alexk42

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm looking for a NVR which allows SSH access, so that I can backup videos using rsync or any automated way to backup videos nearly immediately to remote machine. I need to run backup every 2 minutes. I did some research already.
TP-link. TP-Link support told me we do not have an NVR which has ssh. They also do not have option of automatic backup.
Arlo. A friend told me only backup to USB storage but that's not remote machine.
I need this as cloud option won't work for me as I need a protection from my personal mistakes and it should not be expensive for the all events videos.
I found docker container which can record rtsp stream video from camera, but I personally do not wanna do everything by myself. The problem is that I would like keep only video where camera captures events but not everything. Cameras already have the functionality to record only events and I'd like to use it.

alexk42

n3wb
Reaction score
None can recommend something? So far I've made decision to go with POE managed switch and minipc computer running in docker tiny-nvr(GitHub - hpaolini/tiny-nvr: Docker container to capture IP camera streams) container or might be kerberos.io Agent. Have not made decision yet which is better.Withalerts quite complex situation I made decision the worst case either camera records to SD Card or FTP, when intrusion is detected.
But at the same time I'd like to use something like DeepStack hopping that it would eliminate false positives.
I still think it might be better to buy hikvision NVR but not sure. I'd better pay double price for HIkVision and forget then buying hikvision and having troubles with updating firmware and dealing with some limitations which I will eventually find.

alexk42

n3wb
Reaction score
Right now first top 4 post(except mine) in here about the problems with hikvision NVR

Looking onto this doesn't seem that buying hikvision NVR will be bought and forgot experience.
Continue go the route I was thinking. Fedora CoreOS, Kubernetes with gVisor for something untrusted and mostlikely will be running as pods with runtime class using gVisor either tiny-nvr or Kerberos Agent, the last one have not tried yet. If anyone has experience please let me know.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now first top 4 post(except mine) in here about the problems with hikvision NVR

Looking onto this doesn't seem that buying hikvision NVR will be bought and forgot experience.
Continue go the route I was thinking. Fedora CoreOS, Kubernetes with gVisor for something untrusted and mostlikely will be running as pods with runtime class using gVisor either tiny-nvr or Kerberos Agent, the last one have not tried yet. If anyone has experience please let me know.
Of course there will be threads about issues with hik nvr's on a forum that discusses them. No one is going to randomly post that their NVR is working fine. As far as your other needs, they seem silly...backup locally to a hidden drive...

alexk42

n3wb
Reaction score
Of course there will be threads about issues with hik nvr's on a forum that discusses them. No one is going to randomly post that their NVR is working fine. As far as your other needs, they seem silly...backup locally to a hidden drive...
I did not get why you think it is silly to backup to another machine drive? Considering that NVR could be noisy it means that if someone get into you home they may find the NVR and eitehr take it with them or destroy it. So you won't have any records if you do not save into the cloud. I do not like cloud option as it is expensive, limited size and doesn't protect from my mistakes. If I accidentally delete or something I won't be able to restore. With ZFS I'm protected.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not get why you think it is silly to backup to another machine drive? Considering that NVR could be noisy it means that if someone get into you home they may find the NVR and eitehr take it with them or destroy it. So you won't have any records if you do not save into the cloud. I do not like cloud option as it is expensive, limited size and doesn't protect from my mistakes. If I accidentally delete or something I won't be able to restore. With ZFS I'm protected.
You dont need SSH on your local network. Regardless most software based VMS can do what you want...Also buy an alarm system.