Recent experience with Unifi cameras?

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've searched and everything on the forum is dated. Wondering if anyone has good experience with the Unifi cameras, specifically the video quality of the G3 and G3 pro?

I'm moving soon to a much bigger house and will have to overhaul my security setup.

I currently use all Unifi networking equipment (and love it) but am using mostly Dahua cameras and a homebuilt NVR using Blue Iris. The idea of plug-and-play using Unifi cameras on Unifi networking equipment is appealing to me.

Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've searched and everything on the forum is dated. Wondering if anyone has good experience with the Unifi cameras, specifically the video quality of the G3 and G3 pro?

I'm moving soon to a much bigger house and will have to overhaul my security setup.

I currently use all Unifi networking equipment (and love it) but am using mostly Dahua cameras and a homebuilt NVR using Blue Iris. The idea of plug-and-play using Unifi cameras on Unifi networking equipment is appealing to me.

Thanks in advance.
the unifi cameras are inferior both in sensor and design. if you enjoy clearing spider webs and poor low light images and paying double for it, go for it.

Reactions: RJF

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
UniFi has a forum dedicated to their cameras and NVR.

Their G3-Pro looks to use the same sensor as the super popular Dahua Starlight varifocal turret, but like @fenderman mentioned, the way they did IR on it is more likely to attract spiders. The G3-Pro is $299. The Dahua Starlight varifocal turret is $180.

What kills me (as someone that uses BI with some unusual motion detection rules setup to help tune out false positives) is that Unifi’s system doesn’t seem to let you to that. Unifi seems to set the algorithm used to detect motion and it looks like all you might be able to do is adjust sensitivity? People are posting about missing video or too many false alarms. Improving motion detection reliability is a big reason I went with Blue Iris in the first place.

My house is all Unifi network gear. Love it. Don’t think I could built a better system for the money. For my needs, I can’t say that about Unifi video. It would cost a lot more and I’d loose functionality if I switched from my Dahua/BI setup.

Check out Unifi’s video forum. It gets a good amount of posts. Last time I went through it, it made me appreciate my home brew system even more.