Recomendations on reliable camera for manufacturing setting

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They are separate switches on different sides of the building on separate circuits and both are having dropping cameras. I think they are powered from different breaker panels even. We have 3 phase computerized roto-molding machines throughout the building that are rock solid, so I doubt a leg is failing.
Do you have UPSes on the PoE switches .. if so, perhaps they have logs on power / time that you can check vs camera drops?

At this point, I do not think it is the cameras ...

davidm2232

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have UPSes on the PoE switches .. if so, perhaps they have logs on power / time that you can check vs camera drops?

At this point, I do not think it is the cameras ...
The UPSes are just small desktop type units. No logging capability. But we were having the same issue before we installed the UPSes

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll keep this simple if you take one camera down and power it (off site) and it’s fine.

It’s something in the environment.

If the camera faults out with the exact same issues obviously it’s the camera. Conversely, if you install a brand new camera and it faults out you’ve proven it’s something in the environment.

• When did this problem start
  • What is the frequency of the problem
  • What has been added or changed
  • Have you checked other equipment to insure all of them are fully operational and in spec?

- What is the model number and specifications of the POE switch? How old are they? How many POE devices are connected? Review the POE switch logs and identify how many dropped packets, RX / TX errors resends, check each port log for any errors from power etc.

Reaction score
In Meraki have you run the cable test in tools?

1659010249836.png

This is occurring on multiple new Meraki switches. No other POE devices have seen any issues whatsoever. Cables are all new Cat 6 and terminated T568B, not sure on conductor size or material but I can check. No punch down panels, cables plug directly into the switches. Some cables are as short as 15 ft and not near any power lines, that one with the short run actually had the most issues before setting up auto rebooting. This is happening on 15 different cameras at various times so I do not believe it is a cable issue. Also, we are still able to ping the camera and get a blank white webpage when trying to access the web interface, occasionally with grey outlined boxes that look like they could be to login but do not allow typing, so the camera is still on the network to some degree.

davidm2232

n3wb
Reaction score

davidm2232

n3wb
Reaction score
Last night, 2 cameras went down. Those are the only 2 that are not set to auto reboot daily. It seems if they reboot every day, the issue is not present. One went down at 12:21, the other at 12:40. Why does a daily reboot seem to fix the issue?