Recommend an Inexpensive PC that will Run 8 PoE Cameras

Reaction score
Moved into a new house and it has 8 PoE SnapAv Cameras. SnapAv only sells to their reps and I refuse to pay $2K for an NVR and be tied to a local AV/Security guy. It looks like it will be hit or miss as to whether a hikvision or any other NVR will be compatible. Based on the recommendations here, BI would be my best bet. I am a mac user and therefore need to buy a PC to get this set up. The PC would solely be used for the security system. Looking for an inexpensive PC that will run the 8 cameras with a CPU that can handle it. I am by no means a computer or security camera system expert but just want to get these darn cameras up and running.

Any help you could provide would be great.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Moved into a new house and it has 8 PoE SnapAv Cameras. SnapAv only sells to their reps and I refuse to pay $2K for an NVR and be tied to a local AV/Security guy. It looks like it will be hit or miss as to whether a hikvision or any other NVR will be compatible. Based on the recommendations here, BI would be my best bet. I am a mac user and therefore need to buy a PC to get this set up. The PC would solely be used for the security system. Looking for an inexpensive PC that will run the 8 cameras with a CPU that can handle it. I am by no means a computer or security camera system expert but just want to get these darn cameras up and running.

Any help you could provide would be great.
Welcome Scent of a Mule,

Look for the Blue Iris forum area, and the notes below, there's a few threads on Blue Iris systems. iirc look on ebay for used newer i5/i7 PCs with windows OS.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.