Recommend me a good nightvision camera

dave888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im after an IP cam for the front of the house, mounted high to get an overall view, ive got other ones which are lower down as well.
What is the best camera with decent night vision?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im after an IP cam for the front of the house, mounted high to get an overall view, ive got other ones which are lower down as well.
What is the best camera with decent night vision?
Many rave reviews from forum members on the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z).

See page 20 of the Cliff Notes 2018. Page 4 has recommendations for mounting height; mounting too high (greater than 8 ft.) lessens the chances of being able to ID someone's face.

dave888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Out of interest is Dahua favoured over Hikvision from forum members?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Out of interest is Dahua favoured over Hikvision from forum members?
Dahua’s Starlight series and Hikvision’s Ultra-Low Light series use the same tech for great low-light performance.

I think Dahua got the edge here because folks here were able to buy Starlights for months before the first Hik Ultra Low-Light came out. Dahua has many more shapes/sizes than Hikvision. Plus there has been a trusted seller (for Dahua OEM) active on the forums here for about as long as the Starlights have been out, and he ships worldwide via DHL.

IMO they’re both great brands, but there’s a ton more “tribal knowledge” here for the Dahua Starlights.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From my own limited experience, absolutely yes. With the 4mp cameras I had the dahua image was significantly better.
I thought the Dahua starlights were all 2MP cameras?
Do they make theme in 4MP or greater.
Everything I read here always says night view will suffer greatly above 2MP.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the Dahua starlights were all 2MP cameras?
Do they make theme in 4MP or greater.
Everything I read here always says night view will suffer greatly above 2MP.
he said nothing about starlight...just that they were better than his hiks..

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK
I was just definitely interested in hearing about a > 2MP starlight or otherwise great night image option > 2MP camera if there was one.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK
I was just definitely interested in hearing about a > 2MP starlight or otherwise great night image option hiber MP camera if there was one.
If you're willing to pay $325 dahua has 6 megapixel cameras using the IMX 178 sensor... Only available in bullet or Dome