Recommend me some hardware for XProtect Go/Essentials and (6) Hikvision DS-2CD2332

jaysen

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Hikvision DS-7108N-SN/P NVR from alixepress for my (4) DS-2CD2332's cameras for my home. I got to think after making the purchase I should have at least tried XProtect before committing to an NVR. Nonetheless I only paid $144 for the Hik NVR, so I figured I'd build a Xprotect machine to give it a try and if I like it i'll find a use for the Hik elsewhere.

I'm looking for input when building a dedicated Xprotect machine. I am very intrigued by the i5 NUC but turned off the by 2.5" SATA limitations. If you could do it all over again, what would your hardware requirements be? Or, if you're happy with your current - what are they?

So here is my setup/requirements;

1) I will be running (4) 2CD2332's initially, with the option of adding 2-3 more in the future.
2) All recording at 3MP, max FPS or close to it
3) remote viewing not on the actually machine itself but remotely from another PC and Mobile (Xprotect Mobile?)

Not looking to break the bank with the latest and greatest hardware, so no i7 systems unless it can be done for under $300. Power consumption to be strongly considered when piecing if possible, as this will be running 24/7 (duh)

Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Recommend me some hardware for XProtect Go/Essentials and (6) Hikvision DS-2CD233

With xprotect you can use the in camera motion and be fine with a modern haswell i3...