Recommendation for interior cam

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to purchase 2 POE cams that will be used as baby monitors. I'll be using a Dahua NVR, so i'd prefer to use Dahua cams. Any recommendations?

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your recommendation.

For an exterior camera, what would you recommend for a larger piece of property? I have 3+ acres, and I have 2 roads between 180 and 250 feet from my house. I've noticed many cameras only have a 30m IR range.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the verdict on my: Dahua Starlight Mini-Dome 3.6mm (IPC-HDB4231C-AS)

I believe the best all around indoor camera for residential use is going to be the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

However the Mini-PTZ is great if you got a newborn and want to watch them sleep w/enough detail to see em breathing.. I put mine on the ceiling in the room so it could see right down into the crib and zoom in on the baby.

I'll be putting the 4231F-AS in the playroom corner and the the MiniPTZ is already in the bedroom.

Last edited:

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, my wife just gave birth to twins so I wonder if ONE mini-ptz could do the trick and be able to monitor both cribs?

Maybe I should have started a separate thread about an ext cam with long range IR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
in the right place the PTZ could swap between presets at an interval and keep an eye on both.. but it will make a bit of audible noise, not enough to wake em unless they really paranoid lil babies

it allows actions to kick off on schedules, mine zooms in on crib at night and watches the whole room in the day..

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you need audio in/out or only audio?
For audio in you must use a HDBW version.
Here are the same recommended ones available.
I have a Babycam thread here...

Btw, I am using the external Dahua mic, it's miles better than the build in ones. I can hear everything of my children's downstairs with open doors!

Last edited:

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, these are my first kids so im not sure if i need 2 way audio or only a microphone yet! Part of me thinks a speaker would be sufficient, but another part of me likes to have options and therefore 2 way audio would be nice. Seems wanting 2 way audio there are limited options. I dont want anything overly complicated. I do enjoy tinkering, but im not great with computers and software.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To clarify, they can't replace a baby phone! But as a additional way they will be fine.
You must decide what you want to see and hear. PTZ has the disadvantage that older children wakes up when the cam reboots or you zoom it. Although I didn't have the little black face PTZ so I can't say if it's silent enough.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2-Way audio sucks, just forget about it.. damnit @TVT73, why'd u bring it up? your the only one who wants that junk

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No it doesn't sucks. When did you tried it the last time?
Maybe I am the only one here who tried it with the newer ones.

I wrote that it couldn't replace a baby phone, but this has other reasons.

2 way audio means with the actual app version, that both ways are on. Together. That's nearly duplex, and it's working when mic and loudspeaker is set up with the right volume ok for talking with my 4 and 6 year old children´s from the office. If you activate speaking mode with tha app, it energized the speaker and frequency range. Not as perfect as tinycam which energized the mic much more. It works like village stations from several manufactures using videostations i know.
It has no echo cancling, and the audio latency is noticeable (around 1s) because it´s not a voip conncetion.
So in my opinion it´s defiantly no junk, i have used it with my old cam for years and when you know how to use it and under what conditions its doing its job very well.

With the dahua external mics and a simple active cheap desktop loudspeaker you have all you need for that. But i would recommend tinycammonitor, it works better for 2 way audio.

I don´t like the ptz ones for a children room. In practice you forget to point the cam to the desired position and zoom before someting happens. In cases you hear something and want to have a closer look, my children's are afraid of the red lights and sound of the cams. Especially on a nightmare dream. There are several sleep phases, where i can guaranty, waking up both of them for any cam movements. Maybe an result of my old suneyes and foscam, which are not silence. And they have many light from status leds...

Andy from @EMPIRETECANDY recommendsthis ptzcam with integrated mic and speakers. I tried the ipc-k wifi ones and they are horrible at night view, the speaker is bullshit, every babyphone has a much better one. for the same price a 4431 version is much better.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I am going to try two of the APC-A35s (next month when the kids come home). If im not happy with them im going to order the Mini black face PTZs

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I am going to try two of the APC-A35s (next month when the kids come home). If im not happy with them im going to order the Mini black face PTZs
Did you ever get your DH-IPC-A35? I'm thinking of getting one of these for same reasons...

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am still happy with the combination hdbw5231r-z , pfm140, logitech mini active speaker. Ipc-A35 has a poor night view and audio is worthy than a babyphone.

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am still happy with the combination hdbw5231r-z , pfm140, logitech mini active speaker. Ipc-A35 has a poor night view and audio is worthy than a babyphone.
I decided against the IPC-A35 based on reading it had poor night vision. I wouldn't be able to make much use of it after its retired from baby monitoring duty. I've got some IPC-HDBW4231F-AS coming instead.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you only monitor your baby and uses a babyphone for talking to it, it would be a choice. This one has no audio out.
But I I not sure how much ir clouding the mini dome has. It's depending of the viewing angle and if the lens is too much near the housing, you would proprobably get much ir clouding (reflections)
I made a review for the bigger domes, and the one with many ir leds is really heavy clouding.

Maybe you should better choose the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS. Balls Eye are better than Dome or MiniDome.To the same price.