Recommendation for new system?

jeremybme

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an older qsee system. I like it. But the cameras are crapping out. I’m an IT sysadmin so I can replace it all no issue but don’t necessarily need to create a system that will need constant tweaking or that the wife can’t use. I’ve got a synology NAS that could be used as well.
My question. I like using the smartpss software on my Mac to view cameras. I like managing my cameras and nvr from that software. I’m used to it. It works. Is there any out of the box nvr systems y’all would recommend that have a phone app that’s good but also a Mac app for managing everything etc? Or should I be buying an nvr from dashua etc and building a custom system. I’ve seen reolink at Costco and wonder if it’s good.
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stay away from reolink unless all you care about is what time it happened. It's performance at night is poor.

Most would not recommend a box kit. They shove all fixed focal length cameras in them and usually on less than ideal MP/sensor ratios.

We would recommend Dahua OEM from trusted member here @EMPIRETECANDY that will work with SmartPSS.

He sells a "system" that includes the NVR and varifocal cameras.

Also see this:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an older qsee system. I like it. But the cameras are crapping out. I’m an IT sysadmin so I can replace it all no issue but don’t necessarily need to create a system that will need constant tweaking or that the wife can’t use. I’ve got a synology NAS that could be used as well.
My question. I like using the smartpss software on my Mac to view cameras. I like managing my cameras and nvr from that software. I’m used to it. It works. Is there any out of the box nvr systems y’all would recommend that have a phone app that’s good but also a Mac app for managing everything etc? Or should I be buying an nvr from dashua etc and building a custom system. I’ve seen reolink at Costco and wonder if it’s good.
Thanks
Hi @jeremybme

many of the older Q-see kits were Dahua OEM ..

So, you could get a PC and run Blue Iris or the Dahua VMS product they have out now, and just upgrade the cameras that died with newer Dahua OEM cameras.

( remember a drop of di-electric get in the RJ45 boot )

jeremybme

n3wb
Reaction score
this is great info thank you. My current Dahua cameras are 4mp, and it appears that Empire is also recommending 4mp. im really having trouble understanding. after 10 years why would i not be upgrading to a 12mp like all the box sets are advertising. i Read thru your links, but is there an explanation for dummies, that sums it up?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
12 MP cameras are not on ideal MP/sensor ratios. Any camera not in green will perform poorly at night.

1718133054840.png

Many threads here of people chasing MP and showing poor quality at night. 4MP is the sweet spot for these types of cameras.

Also see this thread: