recommendation needed - IPCAM, WiFi, auto track via browser

jopa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

since some weeks i am searching for a IPCAM with special functions, but i do not find one.
Either the function ist not documented or i do not know the proper function name to google for it.
I hope you can help me with some hints or recommendation for a specific model.

If i have to install an alternative firmware or shell scripting on cam, it would be OK for me.

I had an old Edimax IC7000PTN V1 with this function, but it stopped working.
Now i have to replace it.

I need:
* PT(Z)
* WiFi
* Access via web browser
* Outdoor would be nice
And now the special function, which i do not find or i do not know the correct "google words":
I want to define some preset positions (6-8). I somebody connects the cam via browser, the cam should start to show the positions eg position 1 - wait 5 seconds - position2 - wait 5 seconds - position 3.... position 1 ....
If last user stops watching via browser, camera should stop moving.

Are there any cameras on the market, which have this function?
If there a special term i have to search in spec for this function?

It is only for private purpuses, so a cheap cam would be great ;)

Thank you for your hints in advance.

Jopa

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

since some weeks i am searching for a IPCAM with special functions, but i do not find one.
Either the function ist not documented or i do not know the proper function name to google for it.
I hope you can help me with some hints or recommendation for a specific model.

If i have to install an alternative firmware or shell scripting on cam, it would be OK for me.

I had an old Edimax IC7000PTN V1 with this function, but it stopped working.
Now i have to replace it.

I need:
* PT(Z)
* WiFi
* Access via web browser
* Outdoor would be nice
And now the special function, which i do not find or i do not know the correct "google words":
I want to define some preset positions (6-8). I somebody connects the cam via browser, the cam should start to show the positions eg position 1 - wait 5 seconds - position2 - wait 5 seconds - position 3.... position 1 ....
If last user stops watching via browser, camera should stop moving.

Are there any cameras on the market, which have this function?
If there a special term i have to search in spec for this function?

It is only for private purpuses, so a cheap cam would be great ;)

Thank you for your hints in advance.

Jopa
You dont need a pt camera...use a fixed camera...you can capture the entire scene 24/7....
your old cameras was very low res...a 1080p fixed camera will capture what you need.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Start here: Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

A good fixed non-moving camera would be a good place to start. Don't forward ports or otherwise expose your camera directly to the internet, if you do it will eventually get hacked.

Moving between presets is called a tour. If you set a PTZ camera to do a tour, it will do it continuously regardless of if you're logged in. Web browser support of most cams is a little challenging these days.

WiFi is best avoided if at all possible. You have to power it anyway, just run Cat-6 cable and power it via PoE and call it a day.

jopa

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response.
A fixed camera will not do the job. The positions i want to see are almost 360° and horizontal view and almost 0° down.
I have the posibility that i can reach the camera via VPN, so it is no real public access to the camera interface. Only people in the network can reach the web interface.
If possible, i would prefer WiFi, because to the installation point leads only a two wire cable and it is not easy to get a Cat cable to this point.

If newer cameras do not have a web browser, i would also buy an used one from ebay. Informations to older camera types who had these specs are also welcome.
Unfortunately the4 IC-7000PTN is very rare at ebay. Especially the V1. V2 and V3 do not stop the tour when no user is connected.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If newer cameras do not have a web browser,
They do, newer web browsers just don't work. You have to use something like PaleMoon x86 or the NACL web plugin app for chrome.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response.
A fixed camera will not do the job. The positions i want to see are almost 360° and horizontal view and almost 0° down.
I have the posibility that i can reach the camera via VPN, so it is no real public access to the camera interface. Only people in the network can reach the web interface.
If possible, i would prefer WiFi, because to the installation point leads only a two wire cable and it is not easy to get a Cat cable to this point.

If newer cameras do not have a web browser, i would also buy an used one from ebay. Informations to older camera types who had these specs are also welcome.
Unfortunately the4 IC-7000PTN is very rare at ebay. Especially the V1. V2 and V3 do not stop the tour when no user is connected.
as noted your will have the exact same problem with new vs used..
why dont you tell us exactly what you are using the camera for....and what your budget is.