Recommendation

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My uncle, who is blind and developing Dementia, was recently put into a nursing home after many decades of living in his home which was an obvious familiarity of the layout. In the nursing home, though a smaller area, he often has trouble finding his way. Therefore, my mother, who has been caring for him, likes my idea of installing cameras for her to view remotely, my uncles living quarters and speak to him to help guide him around, since he can't always rely on the internal staff nor often find the call button to get them.

I'm asking for recommendations for cameras with good audio capabilities for my mom and uncle to talk to each other and guide him when she's not there. No POE cams. It needs to be wireless for obvious reasons.

Thank you

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua), especially since the cam suggested above by @usaf_pride is no longer available . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available in white, black or silver for under $60.

I have installed it and it's lower-res cousin (720p) , the IPM-721 at 5 locations in 3 years with no hiccups.

NOTE: You will have to utilize the home's Wi-Fi and it requires a nearby AC outlet for it's 5VDC wall power supply. If you require a battery-powered solution, I have no recommendations.

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did check Amazon, and there was one left, but didn't realize they were EOL.

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua), especially since the cam suggested above by @usaf_pride is no longer available . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available in white, black or silver for under $60.

I have installed it and it's lower-res cousin (720p) , the IPM-721 at 5 locations in 3 years with no hiccups.

NOTE: You will have to utilize the home's Wi-Fi and it requires a nearby AC outlet for it's 5VDC wall power supply. If you require a battery-powered solution, I have no recommendations.
Thank you, Tony. I'll look into this one.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are going to need to clear the use of a wifi camera on the nursing homes wifi. My parents were in two different homes , one allowed wifi usage and one did not. the wifi was locked down. I tried using a cell phone hot spot, put could not get it to work with a camera. This was 5 years ago.

remember that most cameras have only one way communications at a time, not two way like a phone.