Recommendations for 1080p substream

Reaction score
I got 4 Dahua IPC-HFW2841T-ZS cameras and after a couple weeks of trying to get good performance with them in BlueIris, I realized I need different cameras. These cameras can only output a 4k main stream and a 560p substream, which looks like garbage. It seems like most other Dahua cameras can output a 1080p substream but I don't want to buy one without knowing it can be done. Does anyone have recommendations for new cameras? Must be varifocal. I like Dahua's interface and picture quality at 4k but I'm not particularly attached to the brand.

The IPC-B58IR-ZE that this site sells looks nice but there's no mention on which resolutions the substream supports.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IPC-B58IR-ZE that this site sells looks nice but there's no mention on which resolutions the substream supports.
The specs for the streams are here. All I did was Google IPC-B58IR-ZE, it was the second results.

It states that it has a 3rd stream of 1080p.

You could PM Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) direct to make sure.

Reaction score
I realize we’re talking about bullets here but the S3 turret version is available as well. I don’t have one so I can’t really speak for it but you’re already talking about going from a 2 series to a 5, then throw in the S3 version and you’re on a whole other level from what you have. If a bullet is a requirement, may be worth checking to see if it will be available soon

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting the s3 version from empiretech's amazon store. I wish they had all black cameras but beggars can't be choosers. After spending hours trying to look up info on the cameras I already have, I didn't think it would be that easy to find info on these newer ones.

These look like Dahua cameras but without the branding. Do you guys know if there's any downsides to not getting a legit Dahua camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you wanna pay more for the logo LOL?

You can always paint the cameras.

Andy's cameras are Dahua OEM equipment sold under the names Loryta and Empiretech. He also supplies them to the ipcamtalk store.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you you buy from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon or his website or via DM, they are Andy cams and Dahua OEM.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua USA authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from a USA authorized dealer.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua website, thus proving they are real Dahua. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 and 49425 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provides cameras to Andy to sell before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...

You do have to be careful with some rebranded cameras purchased from other vendors as they are either fake Dahua cameras or are cameras that are for the Chinese region but have been hacked into English but then are not able to be updated or they will brick. Buying from a reputable source is key to make sure that doesn't happen.

It says you are in the USA, so if you go to an authorized USA Dealer, you will find that you will be spending anywhere from double to five times the amount for a Dahua camera than you can buy from Andy. And as I mentioned, most of the options are not as good as the international selections.

Reaction score
Just wanted to double check that you went with the turret version as the only S3 4K bullet version is the Z4 8-32mm lens listed on Amazon?

Reaction score
Oh shoot, nice catch. I just cancelled that order. The old cameras had a minimum of 2.7mm and that seemed good for most of the areas I need them in.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

Reaction score
Oh shoot, nice catch. I just cancelled that order. The old cameras had a minimum of 2.7mm and that seemed good for most of the areas I need them in.
That’s what I was afraid of. This is the link I have saved that I believe shows everything available on Amazon at the moment, on the other hand it may not

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.
That's a good article and I really don't want wide angle. These cameras are just going to watch some hallways at work. I only need varifocal to set initial zoom level because mounting locations are limited. Once it's set I'll never touch it again. And I know optical zone is better than digital but the zoom level will be set and forgot, occasionally we may need to zoom in on recordings so a higher mp count is more useful in this particular case.

That’s what I was afraid of. This is the link I have saved that I believe shows everything available on Amazon at the moment, on the other hand it may not

That link does have some neat cameras, even some that are sold out on the main site but those ones seem to be older models.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got 4 Dahua IPC-HFW2841T-ZS cameras and after a couple weeks of trying to get good performance with them in BlueIris, I realized I need different cameras. These cameras can only output a 4k main stream and a 560p substream, which looks like garbage. It seems like most other Dahua cameras can output a 1080p substream but I don't want to buy one without knowing it can be done. Does anyone have recommendations for new cameras? Must be varifocal. I like Dahua's interface and picture quality at 4k but I'm not particularly attached to the brand.

Are you sure your current cameras do not support a 1080p substream? You have to select the stream 2 to get the option, it will not show under substream 1.

Reaction score
Are you sure your current cameras do not support a 1080p substream? You have to select the stream 2 to get the option, it will not show under substream 1.
Yea I spent more time than I care to admit trying to get stream 2 to work only to find out this camera doesn't support it.

The 8-32mm may work for a hallway. Do you feel like you need more optical zoom now?
I really don't need much optical zoom. The current cameras seem to get a good frame between 2.7 and 5mm so having a minimum of 8 might be too much.