Recommendations for a mini PC

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for a (preferably fanless) dedicated mini PC to run Blue Iris at about 240 Mbps? I'm looking to move my installation from my main desktop so that I can convert it to Linux. I assume that just about any i5 xxxxU mpu would work well. What about i3, or i5 processors that have an S or Y suffix? Would I need more than about 4GB of memory (Blue Iris is using less than that in my current installation)?

Thanks in advance.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No mini PC will run BI well. They use "mobile" processors which throttle back under heat load, the heat from the processor running. Given that the processor runs continually to decode video in BI, it will throttle back and performance will degrade rendering the system, basically, useless. A SFF, business class, PC with at least one 3-1/2" drive slot and an M2 slot for OS and BI won't use much more, if any, additional power and won't throttle with the load.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
240 Mbps? That is going to be like 30 4MP or 8MP cameras at max bit rate. Not going to run so great on a mini PC.

Please check your requirements and try again.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Almost, but not quite. Mbps is for bit rates.

4 cameras x 2MP x 30 fps = 240 MP/s

In that case, pretty much just pick any i5 or i7 NUC. You'll probably want one with room for a full size 2.5" disk drive. If you want something fanless in this rough size, you'll need to spend more and find a third party making them.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
remember you are running 24/7/365. There is a heat load that is much higher than a normal home PC. I use a tower to keep the heat down. A small used hp or Dell business PC will be cheaper than a NUC and easier to maintain.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
remember you are running 24/7/365. There is a heat load that is much higher than a normal home PC. I use a tower to keep the heat down. A small used hp or Dell business PC will be cheaper than a NUC and easier to maintain.
Sure, my tower works well for that also. I'm just trying to avoid another obelisk is my office. As it turns out, my current tower fits snugly between the desk and the credenza.