Recommendations for pulling CAT6e wires in an existing home.. DIY or hire someone?

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: Recommendations for pulling CAT6e wires in an existing home.. DIY or hire someone

I just had my house wired for Cat6 a few weeks ago. Took them almost three days. Not a job I could have ever done myself. It wasn't cheap. But so worth it.

ibuyufo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: Recommendations for pulling CAT6e wires in an existing home.. DIY or hire someone

I just had my house wired for Cat6 a few weeks ago. Took them almost three days. Not a job I could have ever done myself. It wasn't cheap. But so worth it.
What did they have to do? Did they open up the walls to run cables?

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

The only wall they had to open up was for my office and a very small piece in my wife's office. The rest they were able to do without cutting drywall (apart for the wall plates of course). I had ten drops in total, with two cat6 cables pulled to each drop. So twenty cables pulled in total. Five of those were for my outside Hikvision cameras, the rest were all inside. I chose the most reputable AV company I could find on Yelp, and although had bids at half the price, went with them because I wanted it done right. The bid response was 10 pages long, very detailed. All products they used were Snap AV, which I liked.

Whilst they were at it, I also had them hang a TV and rip all my old RG59 out and replace it with RG6.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Nothing exciting, but here is a picture right as they finished the closet...

View attachment 6584

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Nice...all of the cable appears to be labeled...it looks like they did a good job. What did they charge you?
Close to four large...

ibuyufo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

That's quite a bit of money but it looks like they did a great job!

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

That's quite a bit of money but it looks like they did a great job!
It wasn't cheap, but I don't mind paying for quality.

ibuyufo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

It wasn't cheap, but I don't mind paying for quality.
I wouldn't mind someone doing it for me as well but I spent all the money on the camera system so now I have to do it myself.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I wouldn't mind someone doing it for me as well but I spent all the money on the camera system so now I have to do it myself.
Try to think ahead if you can. It's tough to have to go back and pull 2nd or 3rd wires in the future when (if) they become needed.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Certainly not saying that it'll be as expensive as mine was. How many drops do you need? And like Q2U said, might as well plan it with each drop and pull multiple wires. That's why I had two cat6 cables pulled per drop. They're in there anyways, so why not?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Certainly not saying that it'll be as expensive as mine was. How many drops do you need? And like Q2U said, might as well plan it with each drop and pull multiple wires. That's why I had two cat6 cables pulled per drop. They're in there anyways, so why not?
If it's a DIY then your probably going to buy a 1,000 foot roll of cable. My guess is that you'll have at least 500 feet left over, so why not try to anticipate what you may need in the future, eh?

BTW, don't get cheap when you buy the cable; purchase solid copper wire from a well-known and trusted brand.

Last edited by a moderator:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

If it's a DIY then your probably going to buy a 1,000 foot roll of cable. My guess is that you'll have at least 500 feet left over, so why not try to anticipate what you may need in the future, eh?

BTW, don't get cheap when you buy the cable; purchase solid copper wire from a well-known and trusted brand.

Is monoprice a well known trusted brand to buy from? I am thinking to getting this outdoor cat 5e - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12727

Bill

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ibuyufo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I have 4 - 1k ft rolls of cable. I think that should be enough for 10 cameras.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

When you are running cables run extra fishing line and leave it in the walls. In case you need to run something later, you can attach it to the fishing line and pull it out on the other end. When you do that, attach another fishing line so it gets replaced.

For new construction use smurf tubes if you can. You can easily add more cables if you have them later. Also take pictures of open walls after you run everything so you can later tell where the cables are. You can take 8x10 or larger pictures and assemble them like they are on the wall to get an idea where stuff is if you need to open walls later