Recommendations for two cameras (prefer Dahua)

Vampirtc2

n3wb
Reaction score
First is in a small shopping mall above the door. I would say about 3m height. Normally about 1 person goes through every 5min or so. I had one break in already and one failed attempt to break in 6 months later (1 week ago). Security opens the door about 6am and we open store at 9am, this is normally the best window for any break in attempt since rarely any people around that early. In the evening store closes at 5pm and the security closes at 8pm, another window. Last break in happened just 15min before security guy came to lock it down. There are no other cameras in the shopping mall.
There are two corridors people can come and I want to watch both and be notified if anyone stays near the door for longer then say 30s. Would prefer to record sound as well just in case guys during break in speak. Though glass next to the door could also be broken. Alarm is installed and security arrives about 5-10min after its triggered.

This picture shows what I described:

Attachments

Vampirtc2

n3wb
Reaction score
Second location is tricky. I'm not allowed to install it outside of the shopping mall so I was thinking just next to the window and it should record outside. Basically I want to see if someone is checking out store through the window or actually trying to break the glass. Again there is alarm installed. Lights inside the store never turn off and I imagine recording to the outside when dark through window is a challenge. There is a sticker that covers the full glass surface and normally you don't see inside, but you can remove the sticker on sides. I had an idea to cut the sticker around camera and maybe put camera in an enclosure to reduce light from the inside.

The below photo is old, old store didn't have a sticker. Problematic is window I circeled.

Attachments

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Having a camera recording through a windows is tricky. On day it could work (depends on light in the room)... on night it will not work even if you turn off ir light.

Problem are reflections from the glass. Only option to do it is when you glue the camera directly onto the glass. Then also ir light could work.

Vampirtc2

n3wb
Reaction score
Its single glass window so hopefully it would work. What camera would work best for this situation?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Having a camera recording through a windows is tricky. On day it could work (depends on light in the room)... on night it will not work even if you turn off ir light.

Problem are reflections from the glass. Only option to do it is when you glue the camera directly onto the glass. Then also ir light could work.
This!

Recording through glass at night, with interior lights on is close to impossible. Unless you shade the camera some how, like putting the lens against the glass. Even then, IR lights may reflect back. depending on how the lens is made. You can have external IR lights shooting through glass and turn the camera IRs off. I have done this before on a temporary basis.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Its single glass window so hopefully it would work. What camera would work best for this situation?
It doesnt matter if its single glass or whatever. If you have any light in the room of the camera, you WILL get reflections. even if you put it in a housing you will get reflections from outside light which goes through the window in the housing...

You have to glue the camera front directly onto the glass with 3M VHB tape. But if you do, you are limited in what you see because you cannot change the angle of the glass/window.........

Another option may to install a varifocal camera a few meters away from the window and zoom in... this should help to reduce the reflections...but you cant use any ir-light of the camera and you have to use only manual settings to avoid a change of shutter/gain settings from inside light... also tricky

Last edited: