Record a HIKVISION IP camera to two hikvision NVR's

Reaction score
I have 2 x Hikvision DSxxni-i8 NVR's.

I would like to connect some of my Hik IP cameras to both NVR's at the same time for 2 reasons

1) As a backup recording
2) So that the cameras are available to view on monitors attached to both NVR’s. In this instance I do not want to record on the second NVR but just view.

I have tried adding a camera to both NVR's but one of the NVR's displays an error. Is there any way to do this?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
The cameras probably don't like two Hikvision protocol masters. Try configuring one nvr to use ONVIF or rtsp to pull a Stream from the camera. I've had 4 VMS simultaneously recording 8 Hik cameras, but I use ONVIF or rtsp.

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Generally you should not have any problems to do that. Even though that's the only way Hikvision recommends doing a backup recording for the IP Cameras. Check if you don't exceed the total bandwidth that the IP camera could provide - I think it was about 16 Mbps for both the Main/Sub streams (depending on the model). So, check if the main + sub stream bandwidth not exceeds around 7 Mbps. Also check the security settings via IP camera web interface - "Enable illegal login lock", you could temporariliy disable that function.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The cameras probably don't like two Hikvision protocol masters
That does work OK, using either Hikvision or ONVIF as the connection method.
But the second NVR has to be able to directly access the cameras for either method - fine if they are on the LAN, but needing a little extra setup if they are on PoE ports on the NVR.
I have Hikvision (and Longse and other-name) cameras connected to 2 Hikvision 7816N-E2 NVRs, and QNAP Surveillance Station, it works OK.

Something else to consider is that the Hikvision NVRs also offer out the RTSP encoded video streams for each channel.
No motion detection via that route though.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That does work OK, using either Hikvision or ONVIF as the connection method.
But the second NVR has to be able to directly access the cameras for either method - fine if they are on the LAN, but needing a little extra setup if they are on PoE ports on the NVR.
I have Hikvision (and Longse and other-name) cameras connected to 2 Hikvision 7816N-E2 NVRs, and QNAP Surveillance Station, it works OK.

Something else to consider is that the Hikvision NVRs also offer out the RTSP encoded video streams for each channel.
No motion detection via that route though.
In the hik mobile app did u add each camera one by one or just added the hik nvr? Does the longse show up in live feed when clicking on nvr in hik mobile app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, as I don't use the mobile app, I don't have an answer for your question. The thread was about multiple NVRs.