Record from DS-2CD2432F-IW to NAS?

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to write the recordings from my 2432 to my "MyCloud Mirror" which is a NAS HD. I actually have a HD plugged into the back of my mycloud which makes it a folder/directory on the NAS and I'm trying to record to it. I can't seem to get it to work. Is there any manuals or anything that can give me directions on how to setup to write to NAS? Through the hikvision IP address of cam it does seem to recognize the NAS after I put in the server IP, but how do I select the directory? I tried using the /, although doesn't seem to work. Also how do you start the recording, or is it automatic?

Any info with setting this up would help. Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is an example of a storage setup. The target on the NAS is a 'share' using SMB/CIFS, which is Microsoft networking. The camera won't record to a folder under the share, so you need a share per camera. The volume size must be under about 200GB when using the camera 5.2.0 firmware. If you search this forum you'll find many references to how the Hikvision cameras handle recording to external storage.

Attachments

raiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever get this figured out? From what I've read, you have to format the drive for this camera. Kind of a downer since you don't want to wipe your NAS drive. =[

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of a downer since you don't want to wipe your NAS drive.
Format is a bit of a scary word - but that's not what actually happens, in the normal understanding of the word.
The camera fills the share (if it's not larger than the maximum size it handles which is firmware version dependant and for 5.2.x is about 200GB) with a large number of placeholder files for video and indexes and a few directories.
Nothing destructive or irrecoverable happens.

raiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastairstevenson, have you set up an IP camera with FreeNAS? I'm sure there are a LOT of people who would love a step by step guide. Anything I can find is outdated or non-existent!

old

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever get this figured out? From what I've read, you have to format the drive for this camera. Kind of a downer since you don't want to wipe your NAS drive. =[
Yeah, that's what I read on networkcameracritic's blog: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1729
If you search the blog for "partition" you should find the relevant comments.

I think this may be the NFS problem, Stickied: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/54-Solving-some-NFS-issues-on-Hikvision-cameras

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Alastairstevenson, have you set up an IP camera with FreeNAS? I'm sure there are a LOT of people who would love a step by step guide. Anything I can find is outdated or non-existent!
I'm sorry - but I have not used a camera or NVR with FreeNAS. Both my NAS boxes are QNAP.
But you've got some useful links from the helpful folk above.