Record to network share

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am just running the included Windows Defender. The help folder does state the following: "If you are Running blue Iris as a service you may not be able to use the local system account if your stored clips folder is located on a network drive, instead you must use a named user account and give that account rights to the network resource". Not sure what to make of this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am just running the included Windows Defender. The help folder does state the following: "If you are Running blue Iris as a service you may not be able to use the local system account if your stored clips folder is located on a network drive, instead you must use a named user account and give that account rights to the network resource". Not sure what to make of this.
that is what was discussed earlier...see posts above

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just ran BI's "Repair/Regenerate" database and now I see my clips listed on the right side of the UI but when I click on one to play it I get this; Sorry, the file could not be found.

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A nas on a gigabit network has sufficient bandwidth, but, always record to a local drive. The chances of someone walking out the door with a large desktop pc is slim to none. You can further mitigate this by tying down the pc with a lock. You can also record to SD card in the cameras as backup if you have them. If you are still paranoid you can clone your cameras and record BOTH to nas and locally. If you are even more paranoid and want more redundancy you can record to a hidden NVR or BI machine. There has to be a point where you decide its overkill. Remember that cameras are not security systems and you should have an alarm system installed.
Fenderman: I have cloned all of my cameras for the purpose of having them record separately to an internal drive (rather than the only NAS as you suggested above) but I can't figure out how to point them to the internal drive. Also, sorry for the rehash of the comments that had been previously discussed. Still cannot get the clips to play at the BI PC so I'll try this instead.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman: I have cloned all of my cameras for the purpose of having them record separately to an internal drive (rather than the only NAS as you suggested above) but I can't figure out how to point them to the internal drive. Also, sorry for the rehash of the comments that had been previously discussed. Still cannot get the clips to play at the BI PC so I'll try this instead.
You will need to set up auxiliary folders, then once you set them up, you will have the option to select them in the record tab drop down. It is always best to record locally anyway

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You will need to set up auxiliary folders, then once you set them up, you will have the option to select them in the record tab drop down. It is always best to record locally anyway
Fenderman: It's all working great now. I set all of my original cameras back to an Internal drive. Then I cloned them all. Then, from within each cloned camera's RECORD settings, I pointed the camera to the NAS with a folder called \blueiris\new (for clips) and another called \blueiris\alerts for the alert images. At first I had the folder named "\blueiris\clips" but found that I was not able to save clips to the NAS until I renamed the folder "\blueiris\new". The AUX files idea is a powerful tool and works great for my situation. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Bill Cox

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems like the right thread -
I have BI recording 6 cameras to a 20 TB NAS configured as an iSCSI device. All working fine.
My Q: Is there a setting for the recordings to over-write the oldest data once the NAS's free space drops to some threshold - say when there's only 1 TB free?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like the right thread -
I have BI recording 6 cameras to a 20 TB NAS configured as an iSCSI device. All working fine.
My Q: Is there a setting for the recordings to over-write the oldest data once the NAS's free space drops to some threshold - say when there's only 1 TB free?
You cannot set it to change the folder size based on free space available. Choose the amount of space you want to dedicate to BI and let it do its thing.

Bill Cox

n3wb
Reaction score
Let me state this differently. My 6 cameras each record to CAM1, CAM2, etc folders on the NAS. Eventually the NAS fills and recording stops. I've run other backup software that could sense when the target drive had only some pre-set threshold of free space left. At that point the software would over-write the oldest recordings instead of filling every available byte of space and stopping. Can BI be configured is such a fashion?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me state this differently. My 6 cameras each record to CAM1, CAM2, etc folders on the NAS. Eventually the NAS fills and recording stops. I've run other backup software that could sense when the target drive had only some pre-set threshold of free space left. At that point the software would over-write the oldest recordings instead of filling every available byte of space and stopping. Can BI be configured is such a fashion?
No it cannot. You also dont have to create distinct folders. BI manages the files.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I can manually clear files monthly - that's do-able.

Liking BI
You shouldnt have to clear manually. just set the folder size to a reasonable number that would ensure free space is still available on the nas.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
How are you defining where BI saves each of the cameras? You can point to specific paths under each camera's record tab, but, BI also saves all clips in the default directory that you assign under the global program settings "clips and storage" tab. That is the folder/drive that BI monitors based on remaining capacity and/or age of clips. You tell BI there what to do when the storage max is reached (or if the clip age reaches x days). Clips can be deleted, or moved (to another folder of your choice).

I have never used the alternate recording storage function in the per-camera settings for video clips. Photos/jpgs, for timelapse, yes, but not video.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this post.
I'm a moron... Somewhere in the excitement of ordering my refurb dell 9020 for BI, extra ram, wd purple 4tb etc etc - I did not check to see if I can fit an additional 3.5" HDD in the SFF box. - It seems I can't! - Dammit! - so now I have an awesome BI machine with only 256gb SSD. - Dammit! - So now I start researching alternative methods of storage and it seems that this Synology DS218j could be a good option. - I actually prefer the idea of having the storage hidden. Because where I am... any intruders WILL walk off with the whole PC if they see it. - So based on what I've read here... NAS could be a good option as long as I follow all the instructions above nicely?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for this post.
I'm a moron... Somewhere in the excitement of ordering my refurb dell 9020 for BI, extra ram, wd purple 4tb etc etc - I did not check to see if I can fit an additional 3.5" HDD in the SFF box. - It seems I can't! - Dammit! - so now I have an awesome BI machine with only 256gb SSD. - Dammit! - So now I start researching alternative methods of storage and it seems that this Synology DS218j could be a good option. - I actually prefer the idea of having the storage hidden. Because where I am... any intruders WILL walk off with the whole PC if they see it. - So based on what I've read here... NAS could be a good option as long as I follow all the instructions above nicely?
you can install both the ssd and the 3.5 drive..see threads on it.
No one steals pc's, ever. If you are paranoid, you can lock it down. You should already have an alarm system, they are not going to waste their time cutting the lock with the alarm blaring.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you can install both the ssd and the 3.5 drive..see threads on it.
Really? - Ok, I'll search more. Thanks. Everything I found online thus far stated 2 x 2.5" HDD as a max with a special caddy and y-splitter for power.
No one steals pc's, ever. If you are paranoid, you can lock it down.
Nope, Definitely not paranoid. In South Africa they will take the PC if they find it. - Unfortunately it's not just small, easy to carry; valuable items that get taken. - They take whatever can fit into your car/cars and leave with your car/s.