Recorded image skipping frames

feynman

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently installed a wired POE security camera at home and am recording the motion detected video to a VM on my home server. I am seeing a lot of recorded video clips (example: ) with skipped or broken images of cars and people. I've tried watching the live feed and comparing to the recorded video, to see if the problem is from the camera or recorded end, but as is typical, when I'm watching cars pass on the live feed, the recorded video is also perfect!

The VM is a Windows 10 VM running ContaCam. The CPU runs at about 60% on average and the 3Gb of memory is running at about 40-50%. I have set the camera resolution to its lowest (1920 x 1080), Bitrate is 4096Kbps and framerate is 18.

Does the sample of the recorded clip above look like the problem lies with the camera or with the recording setup?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not likely the camera, but then I dont know what cam you're running.

Hopefully one of the Pro's will stop by, to me it looks like hardware not keeping up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try matching the iframe interval to the fps in the camera. How are the camera and pc connected to the network. VM could also be contributing. There are better options than contacam.

feynman

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no iframe interval setting in the camera, would this be the same as GOP(F). I have this set to the same as framerate. The camera and PC are both connected to a POE switch. Distance wise, everything is less than 10m away from each other. I have a feeling it is ContaCam which is chewing up the CPU I have given to the VM. What other options would you recommend? I really like the simple interface in ContaCam. Very easy to setup and the web UI is equally easy to navigate and use, with its animated gifs allowing you to see the motion it has picked up. What else (paid or free) would you recommend testing?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, GOP is related to iframe. Iframe (also called keyframe) is the first of the of frames contained in a GOP, the whole image.

I'm not an expert but have played with GOP on Axis cameras. I believe the smaller the GOP, the more iframes. Ive tried 15 and 30 running 30FPS and cant say Ive seen a huge difference,.

How does GOP size affect recording ?