Recording audio

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of reolink cameras with audio built in.
Is it ilegal to record audio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dorcse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just as Nayr so wisely points out, it varies.. a lot. Example: Here in MA, not legal to record audio unless all parties being recorded are aware and give consent (direct or implied).

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like were i am in North Carolina we have a one party consent.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like were i am in North Carolina we have a one party consent.

Understand that even in a one party consent state, that "one party" must be part of the conversation. So recording a conversation between two parties, without consent from one of them, is not lawful.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some states like colorado have exceptions to make it easier to record audio on cctv on your property, but 'reasonable notice' is still required. The problem becomes what if your mic picks up a conversation just beyond your property line.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I checked it with a lawyer friend; in colorado; reasonable notice given to the public is applicable only to businesses.. its missing a requisite comma after business purposes to make it apply to the first part.. plus it dont make much sense to notify the public of recording on private property the public is not invited to enter.. thats written for call centers/customer service/etc where 'your call may be monitored', etc and not applicable to the 'security' exemption.

nor shall said sections prevent any person from using wiretapping or eavesdropping devices:
[1] on his own premises for security
or
[2] business purposes
if reasonable notice of the use of such devices is given to the public.
as long as the devices are on your own premises for security purposes it matters not if it picks up audio from beyond your property line.. but I suppose its always better to be safe than sorry, better to avoid court all together.

Last edited by a moderator: