Recording both onsite and offsite

deadlycfx

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new at this and starting to research on setting up a camera system for my house. I will be getting 8 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras, but I'm not sure on what NVR/software combination I want it with yet. I want to know if there is a way to record both onsite and offsite at the same time. May be record locally with a NVR or SD card and offsite to Dropbox/Google drive. Maybe record continuously locally and only record on motion offsite. Thanks guys.

Also, should I post this on the Dahua forum?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new at this and starting to research on setting up a camera system for my house. I will be getting 8 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras, but I'm not sure on what NVR/software combination I want it with yet. I want to know if there is a way to record both onsite and offsite at the same time. May be record locally with a NVR or SD card and offsite to Dropbox/Google drive. Maybe record continuously locally and only record on motion offsite. Thanks guys.

Also, should I post this on the Dahua forum?
you can easily do it with blue iris..but its a waste..better off simply duplicating the recordings to a hidden nas.

deadlycfx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. That's great that we do have options to do it.

deadlycfx

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman,

Do you know if I would be able to do this with a Dahua NVR solution? Thanks.

deadlycfx

n3wb
Reaction score
Sound like a plan. Only thing left to consider NVR or PC and Blue Iris. I'm going to research on that. Thanks.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
In terms of flexibility and usefulness BI is the only way to go. Used Dell i7 machine will easily handle a complete home, or business, system.

deadlycfx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank guys. I'm leaning toward a PC with Blue Iris and a hidden NVR. Any recommendation for a cheap NVR solution or just go with a Dahua. Maybe build a local FTP server or local network storage.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say look at a local NAS or USB drive, remote from the PC if you're that worried. Adding an NVR only adds another layer of complexity to managing video.

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
networked nas, as long as its not a super under powered one. 4 bays raid 5 should be fine. realtime sync or a backup option every hour or whatever?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

deadlycfx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank guys. I think I should be good now. Just have to plan out how to run the cable throughout my house. It's a 2 story house, so it will be a challenge for me.