Recording from cameras

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
+1^^.

What I stated before, in my post #14....:blankstare:
It all goes back to what I said earlier, if you are going to play with prosumer level Ipcameras you have to learn basic networking skills and terminology. It is not difficult but requires a willingness to learn. When I came here in 2020 I did NOT have these skills, I hit roadblocks like the OP but figured things out from reading and learning and asking questions on this website. You might find someone to assist you locally but it is much better to learn and be self sufficient. Two or three hours spent reading would make a world of difference in tackling your issue.

Edited to add, no affiliation, from a search;

Computer Network Tutorial for Beginners

Skip around, read what is pertinent.

Link

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Some more step-by-step to config your camera, but with pictures, courtesy of @wittaj , click ==>> here
It was written to another user so ignore his statement "... (It appears yours is 192.168.200.x)" , as we don't know yours......yet.

Reaction score
How have connected the camera to your TV via the BNC port on the abck of the TV. That port sends out a video only signal. There is also a standard network plug on the back of the camera. You need to connect that to a computer (either directly by plugging the computer into the camera, or the better solution is to connect the camera to an existing network that you have other computers hooked up to).
There is an eithernet port on the back of the camera if that is what you mean, I have an eithernet card in my PC if you think I should connect the two together and then as surgested go to my browser and type in the above code?

Honestly this sounds like it is going to be over your head however. I suggest finding someone locally that can help you (even a friend with some networking experience).
Who could I hire to do this for me?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hang on that means I need to change my IP address right? which means I will no longer be able to use the internet
No, go back and re-read my post #12 and my post #22.....it's so you can configure the cam.

To me it is clear that you need to either try harder to follow suggestions and instructions or find someone with some basic computer networking skills. It is an "IP" camera (Internet Protocol) so if you can get something from the previous link to instructions posted by @Rob2020 you'll need that skill to configure this camera and any more that you may get in the future.

Last edited:
Reaction score
IMO, you need to hire someone to come to your home and set it up for you.
Well they are for a project I have coming up some time in the future that I wish to use them for a commercial premises
The entire purpose of this thread was to see if I could record from the inbuilt SD card slot to save me buying the recording box. But since that is such a big job setting them up to record from SD card and now I have to pay someone to do it. Am I just better off buying a recording box and forgeting about the SD card?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have a great camera that it clearly sounds like you are using on default settings which never results in good performance.

You need to get in to the camera GUI regardless of how you record in order to set the camera up to get optimal results.

Recording to an SD card is the simplest way to record - not the best or most efficient, but certainly not a big job setting them up. It is simply getting into the camera GUI and checking the record box.

Either don't be afraid and try what had been suggested or hire someone to help or return this camera and buy a true consumer grade plug-n-play camera system. The results won't be as good as the camera you have, but if you run this good camera on default settings, you are better off with a plug-n-play.

Reaction score
You need to get in to the camera GUI regardless of how you record in order to set the camera up to get optimal results.

Recording to an SD card is the simplest way to record - not the best or most efficient, but certainly not a big job setting them up. It is simply getting into the camera GUI and checking the record box.
As far as I am aware I have a picture on my TV from the coax cable, so if I had a video cassette recorder then Im sure it would be as easy as that, I dont see a proper recoding box being any different

Either don't be afraid and try what had been suggested or hire someone to help
Again; dont understand instructions, dont know anyone

or return this camera and buy a true consumer grade plug-n-play camera system.
I have a heap of other cameras laying around that I need to test, But I went for these IP ones first because they had SD slots and I though I could save myself the expence in buying a recording box

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is one camera - so if you have 5 cameras, you will then need 5 monitors in that case because I doubt the TV has 5 coax inputs? And then 5 video cassette recorders, or however many for the number of cameras. The recording box as you call it is the part where all the cameras would come to and then send one video feed to a TV or monitor.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that is what I was planning; As far as I have sean the basic ones hold upto 4 cameras a time. But I cant see why it would be hard to rig up
There's a 'NVR' which generally is for IP-based cams and there's a 'DVR' which is generally for analog cams. Based on your comments and struggles here, I think you should stick with an analog-based DVR (has 'BNC' connectors and uses a twin cable for video signal and 12VDC).

Reaction score
There's a 'NVR' which generally is for IP-based cams and there's a 'DVR' which is generally for analog cams. Based on your comments and struggles here, I think you should stick with an analog-based DVR (has 'BNC' connectors and uses a twin cable for video signal and 12VDC).
Yes I would total agree with you there! connect camera to recorder with the coax cable is indeed an anolog signal where by (correct me if I am wrong hear) the eithernet connection is didgital?

So can you recommend me any "DVR recorders"
I only plan on having 2 cameras; one on the door and the other on the till

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score