Recording from cameras

Reaction score
Morning

I have a few IP cameras that I have got up and running. I have powered them up and ran them into a TV and I have a signal and piture
The cameras all have an SD slot for a SD card. I presume that the SD card is for recording instead of wiring the cameras up to a recording box
Any one know how to record please?
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I presume that the SD card is for recording instead of wiring the cameras up to a recording box
Yes, most likely.

Any one know how to record please?
You will probably need to specify the brand and model of the cameras in order to get anything other than a generic response.
Have you checked the camera GUI menus to see what recording settings there are?

Reaction score

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the GUI?
The Graphical User Interface, the menu system that browser access to the camera provides so you can configure the settings you need.

From the user manual :
4 Web Operation

This series network camera product supports the Web access and management via PC.

Web includes several modules: monitor channel preview, system configuration, alarm and etc.
4.1 Network Connection

Please follow the steps listed below for network connection.

Make sure the network camera has connected to the network properly.

Please set the IP address, subnet mask and gateway of the PC and the network camera

respectively. Network camera default IP address is 192.168.1.108. Subnet mask is

255.255.255.0. Gateway is 192.168.1.1

Use order ping ...(* network camera address) to check connection is OK or not.
4.2 Login and Logout

Open IE and input network camera address in the address bar. See Figure 4-1.

The login interface is shown as below. See Figure 4-2.

Please input your user name and password.

Default factory name is admin and password is admin.

Note: For security reasons, please modify your password after you first login

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More info needed, IMO...

You said you "powered them up and ran them into a TV and I have a signal and piture" but the user manual that @alastairstevenson posted is "is totally confusing" and you "have no idea what it means"?

How did you get any of them to display on a "TV" ? Are they, in fact, connected to a DVR/NVR ("recording box") which is connected to a TV or monitor? :idk:

Reaction score
How did you get any of them to display on a "TV" ? Are they, in fact, connected to a DVR/NVR ("recording box") which is connected to a TV or monitor? :idk:
There is a coax out port on the back of the camera that I ran a cable into the phono port of the TV to get an image. No there is no recording box present

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As @Rob2020 stated above, and since you will need to get into the cam's webGUI to set up recording, you'll have to familiarize your self with getting a PC and the camera on the same network segment in order access the cam.

First, how are you powering the camera when viewing on the TV?
Your answer will determine my recommended next step in the process.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Give PC's NIC (Ethernet port) a static IP of 192.168.1.22, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, no gateway IP needed.
Run Ethernet patch cable from PC's NIC directly to camera's pigtail Ethernet jack.
Power up camera with 12VDC and wait 60 seconds.
Open browser on PC, put in 192.168.1.108 and hit <Enter>.
Report results.

Reaction score
Give PC's NIC (Ethernet port) a static IP of 192.168.1.22, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, no gateway IP needed.
Run Ethernet patch cable from PC's NIC directly to camera's pigtail Ethernet jack.
Power up camera with 12VDC and wait 60 seconds.
Open browser on PC, put in 192.168.1.108 and hit <Enter>.
Report results.
Give PC's NIC (Ethernet port) a static IP of 192.168.1.22, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, no gateway IP needed.???

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
so what exactly am i supposed to do now?
How have connected the camera to your TV via the BNC port on the abck of the TV. That port sends out a video only signal. There is also a standard network plug on the back of the camera. You need to connect that to a computer (either directly by plugging the computer into the camera, or the better solution is to connect the camera to an existing network that you have other computers hooked up to).

Honestly this sounds like it is going to be over your head however. I suggest finding someone locally that can help you (even a friend with some networking experience).