Recording one hikvision NVR on another?

richms

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DS-7108N-SN/P with the 8 POE ports on it, 2 cameras at the moment are hikvision on the poe ports and the other 5 are generic ONVIV ones on the LAN via wifi or wired.

All are working fine and showing on the 8 port POE NVR.

Wanting to record/watch 4 of the cameras elsewhere in the property I have a 4 port DS-7108N-SN on the LAN which I have set the 4 cameras up with the other NVRs IP, chosen hikvision, put a different channel number on each of them and the admin login and password for the 8 port NVR that I can use to login and view on the PC.

But I just get Offline Parameter error on all 4 cameras.

I can see the cameras on the lan from the second NVR fine, but I want to really see the 2 hikvisions on the POE switch of the first NVR, and I will soon be replacing a couple of the other crappy cameras with more hikvisions so they also will be going onto the POE ports of the NVR.

Should this work as I have configured it?
The other option is to get a POE switch and put all the cameras on the lan, but I would hate to have wasted the extra cash on the POE version of the NVR>

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have set the 4 cameras up with the other NVRs IP, chosen hikvision, put a different channel number on each of them and the admin login and password for the 8 port NVR that I can use to login and view on the PC.
That's not a valid configuration - the channel numbers don't refer to the NVR channels, I think they are used on some of the higher-end IP cameras.

There are a couple of things you may be able to do.
Do you need to connect the cameras to the 2nd NVR as cameras (eg with motion detection), or as an RTSP video stream?
The 76xxN NVRs provide an RTSP stream for each NVR channel - I'm wondering if your 7108N-SN does also.
If so, this could be connected using the 'Generic RTSP' custom model.
An example I use on a 7816N-E2/8P connecting to the main stream of channel 5 on another NVR is as follows:
NVR_12.jpg

Another possibility - but this depends on how similar your 7108N-Sn is to a 76XXN-Ex
Does it have the 'Virtual Host' facility?
If so, you will be able to access the PoE-connected cameras at their 192.168.254.x addresses if the cameras have the NVR PoE interface IP address (usually 192.168.254.1) as their default gateway. And have the PoE channel set as 'Manual' so the NVR doesn't change it back.
And you would need to add a static route to your LAN gateway/router to properly direct the traffic, something like:
"For network 192.168.254.0 mask 255.255.255.0 use the NVR_LAN_interface IP address as the gateway".

richms

n3wb
Reaction score
Damn thats a shame. It works perfectly doing that on my XMeye botnet fodder cheapies to get one going to another one to make a backup recording of them. I do that since they are wifi cameras and I want the camera to only be streaming to 1 wired device since 2 things accessing it would take twice the wifi bandwidth.

I will have a try to see if I can get to the cameras that way thru the NVR, but realisically I think that just getting a POE switch and direct recording will be the best bet. Do you know if traffic just passing thru the NVR counts against its incoming and outgoing bandwidth limits? It would then have 2 streams in the incoming side. Im already worried about the outgoing side of it bottlenecking, they certainly dont give you enough to allow for many PCs to be watching the high quality streams on them.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know if traffic just passing thru the NVR counts against its incoming and outgoing bandwidth limits?
Looking at the network stats, it seems the traffic coming out of the NVR to feed the other NVR is classed as 'Remote Live View' and does contribute to the 'Net send' value.