Recording overnight in BI

jlvking

n3wb
Reaction score
We have overnight nursing for a family member and about year or so ago we used BI to record overnight and confirm some activity we thought was happening. We have reason to do that again but are not familiar enough with BI to see what we seem to be doing differently.

We have a total of 8 cameras (but only 7 are currently installed) and need to record 4, possibly 5, of them. We thought we had set them up to do that last night but this morning we found that there was, at most, just under 5 minutes on some of them. Even less on a couple. We don't necessarily want to record with motion sensing unless someone can help us get them set to record maybe 10 minutes when triggered. (That may be easy to set up but the BI controls send my brain spinning!:confused:)

We definitely have the latest software version (as of last night) and are using Foscam 19821 and 18910 cameras.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!!!!!

Reaction score
Top left corner.
1. Options: It looks like a gear.
2. Cameras: Uncheck limit manual recording time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We have overnight nursing for a family member and about year or so ago we used BI to record overnight and confirm some activity we thought was happening. We have reason to do that again but are not familiar enough with BI to see what we seem to be doing differently.

We have a total of 8 cameras (but only 7 are currently installed) and need to record 4, possibly 5, of them. We thought we had set them up to do that last night but this morning we found that there was, at most, just under 5 minutes on some of them. Even less on a couple. We don't necessarily want to record with motion sensing unless someone can help us get them set to record maybe 10 minutes when triggered. (That may be easy to set up but the BI controls send my brain spinning!:confused:)

We definitely have the latest software version (as of last night) and are using Foscam 19821 and 18910 cameras.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!!!!!
you will need to post screenshot of your record settings...

jlvking

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW I did get it to record on Wednesday night but when I went to record on Friday night it recorded for 8-9 minutes and then crashed. BI has crashed on me twice today when I wasn't even recording. Not all the cameras were active either. Screenshot (128).png

jlvking

n3wb
Reaction score
Screenshot (129).png
Again, FWIW, just after I posted my reply I had this pop up. It's the message I have been getting. Again, only 5 cameras running, none recording. I have over 800 gigs available on my laptop and over 700 on the external hard drive.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the specs on the laptop running BI? What is the cpu utilization showing? Is the laptop used for anything else or solely dedicated for BI?

If its a dedicated machine and the cpu utilization is low, export your settings and do a clean install of BI. Would be even better if you could reformat the OS drive.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, and once you get the crash issue sorted out, I would create a day and night profile. Then set the cameras you want to record at night to continuous. You can keep the motion triggers to help identify movement, but this way you're guaranteed to have complete footage.

jlvking

n3wb
Reaction score
CPU usage is running in the mid 50's right now. No recording in progress, 3 of the 7 cameras are disabled, running email and doing some web searching/research. But when I am just using BI to record the 4-5 cameras it's lower, probably because that is all I am doing?
Operating System
Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1607 (build 14393.693)
Install Language: English (United States)
Processor a
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core i5-6200U
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)
Main Circuit Board b
Board: Dell Inc. 0WR8JP A00
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: Dell Inc. 1.2.5 10/06/2016
Drives
1986.38 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1628.61 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A5LH [Optical drive]

PHD 3.0 Silicon-Power USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 1, s/n B1000002247096532051
WDC WD10JPVX-75JC3T0 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WXM1A561DLTY, rev 02.01A02, SMART Status: Healthy
Memory Modules c,d
8084 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM A' has 4096 MB
Slot 'DIMM B' has 4096 MB
Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 986.42 GB 861.15 GB free
f: (FAT32 on drive 1) 999.96 GB 767.46 GB free

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are probably suffering from the intel memory leak...there are a number of threads that discuss it..you need to change the intel driver..

jlvking

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. With my limited knowledge that actually makes sense. :) I very much appreciate the help and will go deal with updating the driver to see what happens. Hopefully that will be the end of it. :)

jlvking

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok... I did it two different ways. Direct from the Intel site and through the device manager. Both times it gave me the pop-up window saying BI had stopped working.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok... I did it two different ways. Direct from the Intel site and through the device manager. Both times it gave me the pop-up window saying BI had stopped working.
Do you see your memory use creeping up? try disabling hardware acceleration and see if it stops...there is a specific known good driver posted in one of the threads.

jlvking

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you see your memory use creeping up? try disabling hardware acceleration and see if it stops...there is a specific known good driver posted in one of the threads.
Yes, actually. I ended up having to update from the Dell site since the others just seemed to let me go through the motions and then gave an error window, suggesting a different route. Seems to have gone well so far so I decided to run a recording on one camera. CPU usage is running 50-65% but I did see a spike of 95% at one point. Recording has run for just over 8 minutes and ram is fluctuating. It has been as high as 341. something. I've seen it at 275.something as well. I have slowly (Well, one every few minutes) added the other cameras recording and so far no real changes to any numbers. CPU usage spikes in the 70's once in a while but that's about it.
And it crashed.

Addendum: Longest recording was 18 minutes, 22 seconds. Shortest was 3 minutes, 48 seconds.

And Intel Hardware Acceleration is set to No.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, actually. I ended up having to update from the Dell site since the others just seemed to let me go through the motions and then gave an error window, suggesting a different route. Seems to have gone well so far so I decided to run a recording on one camera. CPU usage is running 50-65% but I did see a spike of 95% at one point. Recording has run for just over 8 minutes and ram is fluctuating. It has been as high as 341. something. I've seen it at 275.something as well. I have slowly (Well, one every few minutes) added the other cameras recording and so far no real changes to any numbers. CPU usage spikes in the 70's once in a while but that's about it.
And it crashed.

Addendum: Longest recording was 18 minutes, 22 seconds. Shortest was 3 minutes, 48 seconds.

And Intel Hardware Acceleration is set to No.
your cpu usage is very high..make sure you are recording direct to disk and using hardware acceleration (now that you got the memory leak sorted)...it will drop dramatically

jlvking

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure the leak is fixed since it still is crashing, with or without recording. And the Hardware Acceleration is off and recording set to Direct to Disk. We had hoped to address the issue with the nurse tomorrow evening but will have to wait until we can document things. I'll plug away at it again tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. BI can really confuse me.

jlvking

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm still trying to work this out. BI seems to run about 15 minutes or so and then I get this again. Doesn't seem to matter if I am recording or not. I'm at a loss. I keep looking through the options and everything seems to be checked/unchecked per suggestions but it is still crashing. Drivers and software are all current. What really is frustrating is that a couple days before this started happening I had 5 of the cameras recording overnight and they had no problem. They recorded for over 7 hours and I manually ended the recordings. Then I try and record again and it keeps crashing. Nothing has changed with the computer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to work this out. BI seems to run about 15 minutes or so and then I get this again. Doesn't seem to matter if I am recording or not. I'm at a loss. I keep looking through the options and everything seems to be checked/unchecked per suggestions but it is still crashing. Drivers and software are all current. What really is frustrating is that a couple days before this started happening I had 5 of the cameras recording overnight and they had no problem. They recorded for over 7 hours and I manually ended the recordings. Then I try and record again and it keeps crashing. Nothing has changed with the computer.
message support from within the software..try a clean install

jlvking

n3wb
Reaction score
message support from within the software..try a clean install
Can you please define a clean install? I know it means different things to different people. I was thinking about messaging support. The program is useless to me, as it would be to anyone, if it keeps shutting down. I have a paid copy on another computer but we bought another to install fresh on this one. This evening I was thinking about seeing if I can get it running on the older laptop without crashing. But I still want to figure out the issue on this one. It crashed again while I was typing this. :) Thanks again, so much, for your imput!!! I appreciate the help.