Recording Question (Getting Started)

djsolzs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

As I have been playing with the software for about a week I have figured out how to use a lot of the functionality. I am struggling with something thats seems really simple even with using help text.

I do not want to continuously record at the moment. I would like to set up to do the following:

ONLY record video when motion is triggered for 5 mins then stop.

I just dont know what options to select in the record tab to accomplish this. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

As I have been playing with the software for about a week I have figured out how to use a lot of the functionality. I am struggling with something thats seems really simple even with using help text.

I do not want to continuously record at the moment. I would like to set up to do the following:

ONLY record video when motion is triggered for 5 mins then stop.

I just dont know what options to select in the record tab to accomplish this. Thanks.
In the record tab set video to "when triggered"...in the triggered tab set the BREAK time to 300

Reactions: Wen

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But if the motion continues after 300 sec, won't the camera record for another 300 sec, etc.?

I tried a similar thing.....I set Break Time to 900 sec, but then it rained most of the night (continual motion) and I ended up with a 4+ hour clip because the camera kept resetting itself for another 900 sec. Perhaps if I had made the motion sensor less sensitivity the camera might not have been triggered by the rain, but then I might have missed the animal action that I was trying to record.
Yes, and that is what you want. The idea is to set it so that it records X amounts of seconds post the last motion event.
Yes its a balance, you always want err on the side of too sensitive. 900 seconds is a VERY long break time...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But if the motion continues after 300 sec, won't the camera record for another 300 sec, etc.?

I tried a similar thing.....I set Break Time to 900 sec, but then it rained most of the night (continual motion) and I ended up with a 4+ hour clip because the camera kept resetting itself for another 900 sec. Perhaps if I had made the motion sensor less sensitivity the camera might not have been triggered by the rain, but then I might have missed the animal action that I was trying to record.
A separate IR illuminator, mounted a few feet away from the camera, and turning off the in camera IR, can mitigate the rain triggering motion.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the camera will still pickup motion with a external ir.
Yes the cams ir follows day/night. Using external ir also greatly reducesmotion caused by bugs /spiders. Plus the camera isn't blind from rain or snow.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A camera will see right through most precipitation if it isn't lit up by IR that is just inches away.