Recording starts 15 seconds after triggered

rsg

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my Dahua camera on my front door to a higher megapixel version. It was working fine before the upgrade, but now the recorded clip will start about 15 seconds after the motion triggers the camera. The thumbnail for the event will capture the person who triggered the camera and it will be time stamped, for example, at 2:05:30. When I click that thumbnail it will start at 2:05:45 and usually misses the person completely.
The settings were identical for both cameras. What could be wrong?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my Dahua camera on my front door to a higher megapixel version. It was working fine before the upgrade, but now the recorded clip will start about 15 seconds after the motion triggers the camera. The thumbnail for the event will capture the person who triggered the camera and it will be time stamped, for example, at 2:05:30. When I click that thumbnail it will start at 2:05:45 and usually misses the person completely.
The settings were identical for both cameras. What could be wrong?
ensure that the iframe interval in the camera matches the fps and that smart codec is off.

Reactions: rsg

BlueRidge

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure what this means "ensure that the iframe interval in the camera matches the fps and that smart codec is off."

iframe matches FPS? Smart codec? I don't see anything like that in either camera settings nor in blue iris.

Blue iris seems to work well for me, except I miss the first 20 seconds or so of recordings.

BlueRidge

n3wb
Reaction score
ensure that the iframe interval in the camera matches the fps and that smart codec is off.

BlueRidge

n3wb
Reaction score
How do I get the screen above? When I enter the camera IP address I get a totally different interface, with none of the codec or frame rate info. I have an SV3C H.265 POE IP Camera. SV3C web site and utilities are worthless.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do I get the screen above? When I enter the camera IP address I get a totally different interface, with none of the codec or frame rate info. I have an SV3C H.265 POE IP Camera. SV3C web site and utilities are worthless.
What is the make and model of your camera?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sv3c is junk. I took it down and replace it with a dahua 2mp turret starlight. I will see if I can get it up and running to get a screen shot

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't want to say that, but yeah. Time is money and you'd be much happier if you tossed it and purchased a Dahua Starlight. In fact, such a route would probably save you money after you figured in the cost of your time futzing with it, along with cost of frustration and aggravation. Those Dahua Starlights generate darn good images too.

BlueRidge

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Above screenshot matches what I've been able to get. SV3C works well enough for my needs and gives a very good picture. Support utilities & web site are pretty bad. Typical for cheap Chinese products.

I still do not understand how frame rate or codec can cause a 10-15 second delay in the start of a triggered recording. AT 15 FPS, I seem to be missing at least 150 frames. It would seem that a setting in BlueIris might be the key to a fix. It would be great to have an explanation regarding the delay. BlueIris help leaves a lot top be desired. I've gone thru it completely multiple times. Needs to be completely re-done. More tutorials would help. I found a few that are very helpful, especially one that explains hot spot triggers and helped me set that up successfully. Users must rely on a wide mix on online tips and suggestions, many of which seem questionable.

Can anyone explain what causes the delay.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Above screenshot matches what I've been able to get. SV3C works well enough for my needs and gives a very good picture. Support utilities & web site are pretty bad. Typical for cheap Chinese products.

I still do not understand how frame rate or codec can cause a 10-15 second delay in the start of a triggered recording. AT 15 FPS, I seem to be missing at least 150 frames. It would seem that a setting in BlueIris might be the key to a fix. It would be great to have an explanation regarding the delay. BlueIris help leaves a lot top be desired. I've gone thru it completely multiple times. Needs to be completely re-done. More tutorials would help. I found a few that are very helpful, especially one that explains hot spot triggers and helped me set that up successfully. Users must rely on a wide mix on online tips and suggestions, many of which seem questionable.

Can anyone explain what causes the delay.
Blue iris only begins recording on a new keyframe when using direct to disk. smart codecs screw things up further as some of them use a dynamic iframe which spreads it longer between frames.
The blue iris help file is detailed, you just didnt read it.
Have you set pre trigger record times? have your properly setup motion recording or just randomly selected things in the record tab because they sound right but did not READ the help file before making the changes. Post your record tab settings AND you camera web interface settings.
s3vc is utter crap, too bad you got suckered.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue ridge.

I use direct to disk and continuous recording on all my cameras. Disk space is cheap then use motion detection on them to create alerts. My experience is that you never record the most important part of the event. For example, the same car driving passed the house multiple times, the street is not part of motion detection.