Recording storage to 2 locations at same time

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it possible to record clips to 2 different drives at the same time? Not even sure this is worth the effort but I was thinking of having BI store new clips on a local drive and then also have it save them to a nas. This way when accessing BI via the web or mobile app the clips I watch are served via the local drive but if for some god forbidding reason someone stole the BI server I would have all the clips on my nas and it would have all the latest clips.

My thinking was to also save on some network traffic by having the local internal drive serve up the clips to view instead of pulling from the network. Or do you all think I'm overthinking this and I should just save all clips to the nas and be done with it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@lviperz, you can do this by setting up a second cloned camera and have that stream recorded to a new folder...you can hide the camera so that it doesnt appear as double on the screen. Its important that you enter the username and password correctly when cloning. Blue iris will only pull a single stream from the camera and therefore does not check the credentials for the secondary camera. The problem arises when you restart blue iris and the secondary camera is the one that connects to the camera first, if the user name and password are wrong, it will not display..
If you want true redundancy you should get a cheap NVR add a large drive and record 24/7

Last edited by a moderator:

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I didn't think about the cloned cam option. I may give that a try. My only problem with cloned cams is that you can't hide them in the web and mobile apps. Unless that has changed?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I didn't think about the cloned cam option. I may give that a try. My only problem with cloned cams is that you can't hide them in the web and mobile apps. Unless that has changed?
You can hide them..the problem is you cannot hide them if you use cloned cameras for alerts..but since you are using the cloned cameras for recording, all you need to do, is put one set of cameras into a group and give the user access to that group only...