Recording to mac via web browser

Rick Simonton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
accidentally purchased hikvision ip camera WITHOUT SD slot. My other two cameras have one, and i dont have a nvr or dvr, and would rather not buy one. It seems like i should be able to record directly to my macs HD Via the web browser interface. I read somwhere that it needs a dedicated partition or a dedicated drive so i added a 1T jump drive as a target. Under the configuration tab > local configuration > Record File Settings … i aimed everything to the jump drive.
But at the advanced configuration page > storage > storage management … no drives appear and nothing is settable. Did i miss something. Help! Thanks in advance!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
no drives appear and nothing is settable. Did i miss something.
The Mac would have to offer it's HDD as an SMB/CIFS or NFS share over the network.
Is this how you configured the Mac?

I read somwhere that it needs a dedicated partition or a dedicated drive so i added a 1T jump drive as a target.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Could you expand?

Rick Simonton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Mac would have to offer it's HDD as an SMB/CIFS or NFS share over the network.
Is this how you configured the Mac?

No, or at least i dont think so. If i can quote you…”I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Could you expand?”

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Could you expand?
I had read online somewhere (a dubious source for sure) to record an ip camera to a computers internal drive, the drive had to have a partition dedicated to the camera or a dedicated external drive dedicated to the camera. I choose the latter solution by adding a usb thumb drive to usb port on the back of the mac.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Under the configuration tab > local configuration > Record File Settings … i aimed everything to the jump drive.
That is where you configure where your web browser will be recording videos/snapshots/etc. So, when you are accessing the camera over the web interface, and take a snapshot or record a clip, it will save it there.

It has nothing to do related to where the camera by itself will be making recordings.

Rick Simonton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
h
OK, and did you configure the Mac to offer that as an SMB/CIFS or NFS share for access by the camera as a Net HDD target?
Thank you for the hint. I feel im close but not quite there yet. I believe on a mac its called “file sharing”. I turned on file sharing and selected the jump drive. I chose to share using smb protocols. It gave me an ip address and file path, though the does not include the name of jump drive, so i suspect that this is incorrect. Just the same i added this to the cameras web interface at configuration > advanced > storage > nas, along with … mounting type set to smb, added the admin user name of the computer along with the password. Hitting the test button gave me the following error message: “failed to connect with test server”. It did save the configuration, so i think im close.

Going to the storage management tab, i now have a new line in the device list: hdd number 9 (though its check box is grayed out) capacity and freespace are listed as 0, status is offline, type is NAS, property is R/W, and progress is blank.

i think im very close. All suggestions are welcome!

Rick Simonton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is where you configure where your web browser will be recording videos/snapshots/etc. So, when you are accessing the camera over the web interface, and take a snapshot or record a clip, it will save it there.

It has nothing to do related to where the camera by itself will be making recordings.
thanks for clueing me in. I guess i was confused by the word “recordings”. In any case i dont think i hurt any thing, or did I?