Recording to SD Cards as redundancy

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never done this, but all my cameras support it. What size cards are you guys using?

I have a spare 64GB Samsung PRO Endurance, but I'm wondering if I should instead grab a 128GB

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting, how well does the motion work on your cams? I record 24/7 and Motion in BI just because something Motion misses things

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You have to get your motion detection working good first. Took me a while but I get alerts for everything now, with only minimal false alerts.

Recording continuous is not recommended for edge storage. On your hard drive, yes. But there are issues with recording continuous on sd, such as premature card failure, camera bogging when card is full and it is trying to overwrite data.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your cams have AI, the record on motion works great!

Stay away from continuous recording on SD cards as they little CPUs in the cameras can get wonky when they get full and bug out trying to figure out how to record and write over at the same time. I go in periodically and do a reformat when the card gets close to full. Nothing like a LPR camera deciding to reboot all night because the card is full and it goes crazy (had that happen in the past month). The cards themselves are capable of continuous recording, but many of these cameras are not...

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Huh, interesting. Sounds pretty buggy if that's the case

My LPR camera I'd probably skip, since I'm running OpenALPR on a different system anyway, so I can reboot my BI system without losing LPR

I might test it out on a non critical camera

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
These are apparently rated for continuous recording

Maybe I need to grab a few and give it a whirl
I'm sure they will last a while on continuous, but you will get a ton more life out of them if they are not being filled every week/couple of weeks.

I tried continuous on one of my cams, it did get a little goofy when it filled the cams. I switched to motion only. Since my triggers are working properly, I figured it was reliable enough as a backup. I doubt I will ever need to pull video from a card.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just trying to share from experience. YMMV.

I am sure some have run fine without problems, but in my experience every Dahua OEM camera I have bugs out at some point and I know immediately that the card is full, and I log in and see the card is full. A simple reformat and the camera is back in business. Maybe it was full for a month before issues, or maybe it was a day, but it will go wonky at some point.

Maybe it works fine for 6 months and is writing over daily - depending on your resolution settings it could be rewriting every 24-36 hours or less depending on SD card size - but then at the wrong time your BI restarts and the camera quits recording overnight because of 24-7 overwrites and you are stuck with nothing.

I have found the AI on these to be great, so motion backup has been fine for me. Plus since you won't get two days storage on the card, what good is it?

With the AI motion detection used on the SD Cards, some of my cameras go back well beyond what is available in BI. So unless you have 200TB of drives, you will find that you can store longer motion detection on the SD card than you will probably have in BI, especially if you 24-7 record.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm going to grab two cards and try it out and see how well it works with motion, sadly 8 of my cams have no AI!

My use case is if someone breaks in and steals the BI machine, unlikely they ever take the cameras

Reaction score
I'm going to grab two cards and try it out and see how well it works with motion, sadly 8 of my cams have no AI!

My use case is if someone breaks in and steals the BI machine, unlikely they ever take the cameras
if you have NAS or FTP onsite/offsite...there is that option, at least in the Dahua settings for storage. I have no cards in the majority of my cameras. Am thinking of a backup snapshot to my local NAS.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In 6 months when your cameras are showing no signal in BI, don't come here posting your cameras lost signal and looking for help LOL and remember this thread and reformat your SD card....

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting, this thread has given me a new idea

Currently I do sync my clips off-site, but in a really roundabout way since BI only support FTP and not SFTP

Currently it goes Blue Iris Motion Clips > Upload to FTP, a local FTP server in my garage > Uploads to Backblaze B2

I could easily change it to go from Camera Motion > Upload to FTP, a local FTP server in my garage > Uploads to Backblaze B2

This would mean everything would work even if Blue Iris is off, and if Blue Iris screws up the clip, I'll still have it, and I only need to let the cameras hit the local FTP box, not the internet (Currently they are completely disconnected from the internet, in their own VLAN with no gateway)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I live in Houston, I have not had an outside SD card last more than 6 month on motion record, I have killed a WD Purple SD card. Houston has great summer weather +90F and 90% humidity. When the card dies the camera stops working, until the card is removed. I started with all outside cameras with SD cards, i now only have them on the easy to reach cameras at the doors.

A backup needs to be realtime, saving a old file is useless in my opinion. I someone kills your system the most important info is 1 minute before it dies.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, you just saved me $300~

I'm now setting up to recording 36 hours of clips to a local FTP server which is located in my detached garage, and all of those clips are instantly synced to rsync.net storage using rclone

So now even if my BI system is 100% offline, I should still get clips! Very cool

And if someone steals my BI system, I'll still have the clips locally and online

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
It's probably safe to say the large majority of people indicating failed Micro SD cards are those using Dahua hardware. I've been using edge recording since it came out on any piece of hardware. Obviously back in the day when High Endurance cards not using SLC, eMLC, MLC, TLC were not present the failure rates were expected and high.

That was a media issue and continues to be the case today given the state of memory technology.

Regardless, I have more than 32 cameras that use various capacity of High Endurance / Industrial grade memory operating fine going on 5-8 years. Dahua hardware simply implements a shit way of handling continuous recoding. This is aggravated by people who insist upon using no name memory or branded memory that isn't intended for continuous video recording such as High Endurance.

Those who are avid readers in the Dash Cam forums already knows this problem is a combination of hardware and media used.

When the Dahua hardware is designed in such a way with such poor memory handling you already lost the war. Couple this with improper memory you have zero chance of being able to see reliable (long term) edge recording. This is one of the major reasons Dahua branded & OEM Dahua have never been used in any serious Enterprise application never mind Government.

Hikvision has been able to offer reliable edge recording for years and this is proven out by its use in high profile Enterprise installation. Which I can also attest to because I've been doing it successfully for 5-8 years in my own home!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed four AXIS cams at my dads house 5 years ago. All were setup with SD cards and record on motion. All cards still work. This is in Florida heat after 5 years...

YMMV

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
My main concern is if the camera will screw up when/if the card dies. Right now all of my cameras have literally been turned on since I installed them with no issues

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Welps, if this forum and hundreds of others are any indicator using Dahua hardware its going to be a 50/50 success vs failure. This is why I have never personally used this brand at home never mind at a client site. Having installed almost every model they own over the years and seeing what anyone would expect to be standard fair.

I'm at a complete loss as to why this continuous recording issue, persists?!? :banghead:

If you want a boat Anker, repeat service calls, low customer sat, while losing money, sell someone a Dahua / OEM camera with edge recording. :facepalm: Any of the Hikvision camera's that failed write have always been directly related to (shitty media / incorrect media) purchased by the end client. The problem these days for the average consumer is first a lack of education and taking the time to learn what should be used. Along with trying to purchase legitimate media that isn't fake via Amazon / etailor.

If local stores like Best Buy, Stables, Other were more reasonable in terms of final purchase price this would reduce the incidents of fake media. Regardless, the technology has come a long way and prices continue to drop. The missing piece is larger capacity at a reasonable price that won't break the bank!

I don't ever foresee SLC / eMLC 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, capacity memory being sold at sub $30.XX.