Recording!!!

Xcal807x

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!!! Need some advice

Does your system record 24/7 or only when motion detected. i m trying to see how much storage i need and how long should i have the recording saved. Thanks

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I think most will say 24x7 if you can. Storage is relatively cheap these days. Also mitigates error and simplifies setting up triggers. Even if they don't trigger/alert exactly right for whatever reason and you may have to search back through a bunch of stuff, you'll still have the captured video where you might not otherwise. You still can set alerts to mark events.

In my case I run my primary cameras 24x7. Some ancillary cams that I don't really care as much about and/or are covered by others I just do on motion as secondaries.

How long is answered by how much data and how far back you want to be able to look. Calculator is here:

Xcal807x

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the info and the link.
How long to keep the recording is consider normal and what fps is consider normal.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no "normal" really. Depends on your specific circumstances. If you're somewhere on a daily basis and only anticipate needing to look back over few days or so, then a few days to a week's worth. If you're away for weeks at a time and need to look back, then weeks. If you need to be able to track things for liability or some other specific reason, then maybe longer. Assuming a "typical" homeowner case, then just get a 6 or 8TB drive and that will likely cover what most need. You could get away with smaller If you're not running much but again storage is pretty cheap these days. If running a bunch of 4K cams and need to keep video longer then you'll need to look at something more.

Most tend to go ~15 for surveillance video. I wouldn't go any lower than that. You could go higher if you have the resources to handle whatever data stream and want better video. Generally other parameters are more important than fps. i.e., I'd rather have real good images at 15 fps than crappy captures at 30.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Continuous; I noticed that triggers were a little slow or that I'd want to see more than what was recorded. For a Seagate NVR drive, 4TB, it's about $100. That's cheap for storage.

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
24/7 at 15fps. I have 8 Cams currently installed and it stores for 31 days on two 6TB purple drives.

Xcal807x

n3wb
Reaction score
I used the calculator and with 12 tb for 15 4mp cameras, it only gives me like less than 2 weeks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
15fps is plenty in most applications.
10fps works in area's without fast motion (foot traffic) once you get used to viewing it.
I have a couple of cams in non-busy areas that do fine with 5fps.
It also depends on the bit rate you choose.
Using VBR will save some space.
Study this> Cliff Notes

Xcal807x

n3wb
Reaction score
15fps is plenty in most applications.
10fps works in area's without fast motion (foot traffic) once you get used to viewing it.
I have a couple of cams in non-busy areas that do fine with 5fps.
It also depends on the bit rate you choose.
Using VBR will save some space.
Study this> Cliff Notes
Thanks

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I used the calculator and with 12 tb for 15 4mp cameras, it only gives me like less than 2 weeks.
That fits in exactly with what CKb3 said. He has 8 cameras and 12 TB lasts 31 days (1 month). You have 15 cameras (double the number) and it's predicted to last around 2 weeks. Twice the cameras, half the duration. Sounds about right.

Personally, I wouldn't be too worried about 2 weeks for a domestic installation. If you haven't noticed you've been burgled or vandalised in 2 weeks, then...... Only time it's likely to be an issue is if you go on Holiday for more than 2 weeks at a time. However, as others have said, storage is cheap, you can use VBR or could reduce the frame rate whilst away.

If you have been, then you should be archiving copies of the footage out for the police to eg DVD or Memory Stick.