Recordings only last about 5 Hours (SOLVED)

joltman

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a BI 4 server with a 10TB HDD in it. I've noticed that for some reason my recordings for each of my 3 cameras only go for about 5 hours. I should be able to store WEEKS worth of video, but it's not working and I don't really know where to look. Here are some screenshots of a camera's settings:

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 6.39.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 6.40.10 PM.png

What the heck am I doing wrong? Thank you!!

Last edited:

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you need to go to your Blue Iris Settings under the "clips and archiving" tab and set the size of your Stored folder.
I have a 4TB drive and have allocated 3700GB to my Stored folder. It's just about the perfect size to fill the drive other than a few other minor items I keep over there.

joltman

n3wb
Reaction score
you need to go to your Blue Iris Settings under the "clips and archiving" tab and set the size of your Stored folder.
I have a 4TB drive and have allocated 3700GB to my Stored folder. It's just about the perfect size to fill the drive other than a few other minor items I keep over there.
I'm trying that now. Windows shows 9.05TB. I've set that stored folder to 8500GB. We'll see if that does it. Thank you!!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

joltman

n3wb
Reaction score
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Thank you for the advice. I just implemented your recommended changes as they do make sense. I've got an i7-8500 running the show, and it's a dedicated box, but I'm a fan of best practices. And when looney2ns agrees, well, it's a no brainer. The original reply did have the correct answer as to why I wasn't using that large 10TB drive. So I've merged the two replies. Thank you both!!

Now the trick is to find time to work on the motion detection. Unfortunately, I have had the cameras and server in place for over a year with the original space issue. This whole post started with a neighbor knocking on our door a few days ago. She said her house was egged and was hoping with our "really fancy cameras" we had maybe caught video of the perps. Unfortuatenly, I didnt'.

Thanks for the assist!!